Getting an old sewing machine fixed in New York/Jersey City

Recommendations for sewing machine repair places in New York City or Jersey City?

I have an old Singer 5525 that I paid $5 for. I think there's something wrong with the bobbin assembly. I work in the garment district, so you'd think I'd be set, but all the places near me seem to be focused on fixing giant industrial machines. Anyone have a suggestion for a place where they would be tolerant of my near-total ignorance?
posted by yarrow to Home & Garden (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There are a few places along 23rd street (between 6th-8th aves, i think).

I've never used any of these places, but they display lots of models in their windows that are not industrial. I think some of the places also repair vacuum cleaners, to give you an idea of what they are like. From the outside they look like mom-and-pop shops.

Sorry i can't vouch for their service. I sew and am frequently on 23rd street running errands and what not so i've taken note of them in case my machine decides to die someday.
posted by modernsquid at 7:04 AM on July 13, 2007

Thanks, I'll wander through that stretch and see what I can find out.
posted by yarrow at 7:54 PM on July 15, 2007

« Older An 80s technology throwback qu...   |  I quit my job 3 months ago and... Newer »