Rum and Apple Cid-ER! Rum and Apple Cid-ER!

I seem to remember a cartoon (might've been a Looney Tune, with Daffy perhaps?) from my youth in which a pirate song that ends up with "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" was sung, but it ended instead with a conga-beat rhythm that went something like "yo ho ho and a bottle of" (and here's where the conga beat came in) "rum and apple cid-ER / rum and apple cid-ER / rum and apple cid-ER" (with the 'ER' being the beat). It's an obscure vague memory at the outreaches of my childhood, but that "rum and apple cid-ER" has become a real earworm for me the past few days. Any idea where this little comedy bit came from, and if it's on one of the online video services?
posted by WCityMike to Grab Bag (11 answers total)

Are you sure it's not "Ma's old-fashioned cider!" from Buccaneer Bunny?
posted by cashman at 1:32 PM on May 29, 2007

The link doesn't have the full video, but the wiki entry mentions the conga:

"The cartoon opens with Sam digging a hole to bury his treasure on a beach. In a comic triple, Sam twice sings the stereotypical pirate chanty "Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum", and the third time sings "yo-ho-ho and a bottle of... Ma's old fashioned ci-der" with a conga kick on the last syllable, which is also a parody of "Dad's Old-Fashioned Root Beer", a well-known radio advertising jingle at that time."
posted by cashman at 1:35 PM on May 29, 2007

Yep - It is about 40 seconds in and I have hosted the show here for you to download.
posted by dnthomps at 2:06 PM on May 29, 2007

First of all, hail to the hivemind. Wow. Thanks, cashman. :)

That sounds like it's it, and it makes more sense than rum and apple cider, which would probably be a rather foul-tasting concoction.

Anyone know of a place where I could find the conga bit online? Failing that, it looks like it's on VHS (off of the IMdB listing), but anyone know if it's been collected on DVD?
posted by WCityMike at 2:14 PM on May 29, 2007

dnthomps, I'm blown away ... much obliged! I'm at work ... if you wouldn't mind keeping that file up about 2-3 hours, I can download it onto my home machine this evening.
posted by WCityMike at 2:17 PM on May 29, 2007

(If you can't keep it up that long, my e-mail address is in my profile; perhaps we can schedule the d/l at a future point.)
posted by WCityMike at 2:19 PM on May 29, 2007

I will leave it there for a week or so. Long enough for everybody that wants it. Looks like we have a couple people downloading it right now. It is only 7 minutes long, but it is 129 MB in size. Looks like most people are downloading it around 50 - 60 KB/s and taking about an hour to do so. Use a download manager if you have one, my connection is great, but if it drops along the way, a download manager will pick it right back up.
posted by dnthomps at 2:33 PM on May 29, 2007

Thanks. Just don't want to end up killing you with a high bandwidth bill. :)
posted by WCityMike at 2:35 PM on May 29, 2007

The song is a variation on "Rum and Coca-Cola"
made famous by The Andrews Sisters.
posted by TheCoug at 4:26 PM on May 29, 2007

dnthomps, I've got it now. Much obliged! :)
posted by WCityMike at 7:38 PM on May 29, 2007

Alright all... I have served over 7 Gigs of this download and I am taking it down now. If anybody needs it, email me at my username [at] realm304.com.
posted by dnthomps at 10:39 AM on May 31, 2007

« Older CarpentryFilter: What solution...   |  Recently, quite out of the blu... Newer »