Hole in my glass - what to do?

I have a hole in a glass bottle - can i patch it or fill it with something?

I dropped a bottle of cologne and it chipped a small hole on the corner of the bottle. There aren't any cracks in the glass just what looks like a chipped corner. The hole is pretty small approx. ~3mm sq. The cologne is evaporating through the hole slowly otherwise i can just leave the bottle be since the liquid is lower than the hole. Can i fill or patch the hole with silicone?
posted by AMP583 to Home & Garden (8 answers total)

You can patch it with silicon. Another option is to find a shop that repairs crystal. They may have a better solution.
posted by slowstarter at 9:37 AM on May 24, 2007

I am a big fan of epoxy. If it doesn't have to be beautiful, it sounds like it would work here.
posted by procrastination at 9:43 AM on May 24, 2007

Any specific brand names or types? I've concerned about the silicone being eaten away by the alcohol. Would this happen to expoxy as well?
posted by AMP583 at 9:48 AM on May 24, 2007

I have no idea but is it possible the chemicals could contaminate each other? Change the smell, leech or solidify ect? Like I said nfi so I may just be a panic merchant. But I have an idea to offer in the mean time. Get saran/plastic/cling wrap and bind it very tight and flat. That should stop it escaping. Or is it possible to prise it open and decant into something else that's suitable?
posted by mu~ha~ha~ha~har at 10:04 AM on May 24, 2007

You could treat it as a very small bottle of wine: whittle down a fragment of cork, jam it into the hole and melt some wax over it, completely covering the part of the cork on the exterior of the bottle
posted by jamaro at 10:13 AM on May 24, 2007

Have you considered finding another bottle? Googling "perfume bottles" gives a number of cheap options.
posted by TedW at 10:38 AM on May 24, 2007

A little easier than jamaro's suggestion: Just melt a glob of wax over the hole. The alcohol won't eat away at it, and you don't have to whittle a little cork.
posted by odinsdream at 11:16 AM on May 24, 2007

You can patch it with silicon.

Silicone sealant would be an easier to use option. Melting the silicon into the glass might be a bit tricky. Alcohol should be fine with silicone.
posted by yohko at 12:21 PM on May 24, 2007

« Older Where do jokes come from? Eve...   |  I'm in need of a DSL modem (de... Newer »