What’s the best way to raise money to help someone?
April 20, 2007 1:38 AM Subscribe
I’ve never fundraised for anything in my life. But as of yesterday, I’ve been moved by something I read to see if I can get some cash together to help someone. Help me work out the best way to go about it. There is some
posted by t0astie to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Yesterday I read a story about a young Burmese journalist who had her foot blown off by a landline in pursuit of a story.
She still wants to be a journo. This, I reckon, is pretty damn commendable.
So, I’d like to raise some money to help her out.
I’ve already contacted the bloke who wrote the story and he said anything raised at all would be appreciated.
But. I’ve never raised a cent for anything in my life and have no idea where to start.
Some other stuff that might be relevant.
1. I don’t have some huge ambitious goal but I’d like to see if we could get a couple of hundred dollars together for her.
2. That's a bit more than a walk-round with an envelope will net, I think. I reckon that might get me... $50?
3. I'm willing to put in a reasonable bit of time and effort.
4. Compassion fatigue is, happily not at fatal levels here, and everyone I’ve spoken to about it seems to think it’s a good idea.
5. Oh. I am a journalist and so are my workmates.