Sisyphus Looks for a Hill

In preparation for this event on Memorial Day weekend, I'm looking for a good hill or set of stairs to train on. Problem is, I live in Queens.

I make it up to the Catskills as much as I can, but am really itching for something closer for evening runs. The best place I've found within the borough are the stairs/paths around Astoria Park. Any local MeFites know of other accessible/public options? Bonus points for map links. Thanks all.
posted by Oddly to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)

There is a good hill in Forest Hills (go figure). Plug these coordinates into Google Earth:

Latitude: 40°43'39.87"N
Longitude: 73°51'6.06"W

That should do the trick for ya.

Forest Park has some good ones as well but i'm less familiar with the terrain there so you'll have to explore.
posted by postergeist at 10:08 PM on March 7, 2007

Maybe run the Queens-RI span of the Triboro? The incline is decent, plus there are stairs leading onto the bridge and then a few sets of stairs on the bridge itself. The entrance is here. Bonus: great views.
posted by rachelv at 6:22 AM on March 8, 2007

The Bronx is the hilliest borough and certainly accessible by subway & bus. How about Van Cortlandt Park?
posted by scratch at 6:30 AM on March 8, 2007

How about parking garages? You can run up and down the ramps.
posted by jknecht at 11:08 AM on March 8, 2007

I haven't been there myself, but I've heard good things about the hills in Forest Park, down near Woodhaven.
posted by jason's_planet at 12:21 PM on March 8, 2007

« Older I'm in Austin, Texas from Frid...   |  How do lawyers work in newly f... Newer »