Possible uses of olive pomace oil

My wife recently bought a gallon jug of olive pomace oil thinking it was regular olive oil on sale. I don't want to cook with the stuff and I only food a few obscure uses for it via googling. Are there any common household use for pomace oil?
posted by Burhanistan to Home & Garden (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Make soap!
posted by pullayup at 3:32 PM on January 20, 2007

You can make really excellent scrubs with this sort of oil which are good to have and also make good gifts for people who like that sort of bath fun stuff. This page has a lot of recipes (warning, sound!)
posted by jessamyn at 3:52 PM on January 20, 2007

It seems to be usable for deep fat frying - so you could do things like french fries with it. However some brands have been the subjects of health scares about chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), so you might want to check that out. Either way, I can't see a healthy use for it, so you might be better to make soap from it!
posted by Flitcraft at 5:02 PM on January 20, 2007

Cook with it; you'll be fine. I have a big jug of olive pomace oil for frying and other things where the taste won't matter, and a smaller container of nice extra virgin olive oil.

Use it to fry stuff in, or use it in most places where you would have otherwise used canola oil; it works great.
posted by rossination at 5:55 PM on January 20, 2007

Soap's a good idea if you don't mind having to work with lye (and if you do use it for this, make sure you know what you're doing; lye is dangerous and the fumes when you add the water to it are dangerous). You can even get some molds and make those fancy soaps, too, and give them as gifts.
posted by sleeplessunderwater at 7:19 PM on January 20, 2007

Thanks all for the responses. I'm reluctant to do any cooking with the pomace oil because several foodie pages I visited basically regarded it as filthy. Jessamyn's link had some easy looking formulas to try out (not to mention lush, transporting bath time midi music).
posted by Burhanistan at 9:37 PM on January 20, 2007

Seconding 'eat it.' It's what they use in the average restaurant.
posted by kmennie at 11:14 PM on January 20, 2007

Actually for the purposes of frying, it's arguably superior to Extra Virgin Olive Oil, because of the higher smoke point. It's quoted at being good to up around 460F on this table, which is just below Extra Light olive oil. (Bertolli Extra Light seems to start smoking at around 465 by my thermometer, FYI, so this is right up there if the table is accurate.)

I don't think there's any particular reason not to use it in place of bulk vegetable shortening or oil, if you do any recipes that use large quantities of it. (I'm thinking southern fried chicken would be a good way to go, it uses a lot of oil, but doesn't require a deep fryer, just a skillet. As a bonus, doing it in pomace olive oil would probably be marginally healthier than using Crisco, which is the substance I've always seen used. One recipe here, although I have on good authority that Alton Brown's from the Food Network web site is pretty good, too.)
posted by Kadin2048 at 11:43 PM on January 20, 2007

I second the soap suggestion. It's good for making soap.
posted by litlnemo at 5:31 AM on January 21, 2007

anybody know where one can buy cold or expeller pressed VIRGIN (not extra virgin) olive oil? this stuff has the high flash point of pomace without the PAH.

ps: hi, mom!
posted by oigocosas at 9:27 AM on January 21, 2007

« Older Got a new Macbook Pro. AVI fi...   |  I'm visting four countries wit... Newer »