Help me discover some great orchestrated pop music.
I love pop music that has multiple instruments above and beyond the usual guitar/bass/drums, or better yet music which has a partial or full orchestra backing it. Strings, horns, piano, flute, harp, theremin, choir, all of the above...good stuff.
Era and exact genre isn't that important. Examples of what I like and what I'm looking for include:
- most of Belle and Sebastian's later works (and seeing them perform with the L.A. Philharmonic
this summer was amazing)
- The Magnetic Fields (though their "extra" instruments are often rather unusual)
- most disco, including modern disco/funk like Jamiroquai or Dimitri From Paris
- some Beach Boys, mostly "Pet Sounds" era
- Camera Obscura
- The Hidden Cameras (which is a different band than the one above)
- Aerosmith performing "Dream On" with a full orchestra backing
on an old MTV awards show
- The Who's "Tommy", since it at least includes a French Horn
Suggestions for more, please! Thanks.