How Can You Get Rid of Banner Ads? Especially Animated Ones?

How can you stop banner ads from animating? Or just remove them altogether?

Yeah- I AM referring to those annoying lowermybills ads with those sickening dancing silhouettes.
posted by wfc123 to Computers & Internet (25 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Adblock. Flashblock. Firefox.
posted by hangashore at 10:21 AM on January 13, 2007

Just remove them completely (and every other advert) by using Adblock Plus for Firefox
posted by TheDonF at 10:22 AM on January 13, 2007

And the AdBlock FilterSet.G update extension. You'll be covered.
posted by NucleophilicAttack at 10:22 AM on January 13, 2007

If you just want animated gifs to not animate in Firefox, you can set image.animation_mode to none.
posted by smackfu at 10:23 AM on January 13, 2007 [1 favorite]

Nth-ing the Adblock recommendation.

If you're dead set against Firefox, or looking for something a little bit more complicated, you could try a web proxy, like (for example) Proxomitron. That's what I used in my pre-Firefox days (Opera--I miss it sometimes).
posted by box at 10:26 AM on January 13, 2007

Or, if you don't want to do that, you can just hit the Esc button in Firefox to stop the animation. Or, finally, you can change the value of the image.animation_mode key in Firefox's about:config to "none" instead of "normal". That will stop *all* animated GIFS from playing.

on preview: too slow on the about:config thang.
posted by TheDonF at 10:28 AM on January 13, 2007

Nth-ing firefox + adblock + flashblock.
posted by blahtsk at 10:38 AM on January 13, 2007

This question would have been easier to answer if you had said what browser you were using.
On Safari the easiest way is to use a custom css file called ad_blocking.css that is widely available if you google for it. Download it, then in Safari preferences go to the "Advanced" pane and select the file in the "style sheet" dropdown.
posted by nowonmai at 10:50 AM on January 13, 2007

Another approach, or an addition to the others mentioned, is to use an ad-blocking .hosts file that maps known ad domains to 127.0.0.1
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 11:19 AM on January 13, 2007

If you don't use Firefox and therefore can't use Adblock like the suggestions above, then I'd recommend Ad Muncher. You get it for a free 30 day trial and then it costs $24.95 to buy, but I've been so impressed by its effectiveness that I find it well worth the money. I haven't seen a single banner ad since I installed it.
posted by ivyboundmoon at 11:27 AM on January 13, 2007

2nding the AdBlock FilterSet.G for firefox. It works so well that I forget just how much annoying advertising there is out there, until I use someone else's computer.
posted by benign at 11:34 AM on January 13, 2007

If you don't use Firefox and therefore can't use Adblock like the suggestions above, then I'd recommend Privoxy. You get it for free, and it stays free as long as you'd like to use it, because it's free. I've been so impressed by its effectiveness that I find it well worth the few minutes' setup it takes. I haven't seen a single banner ad since I installed it.
posted by majick at 11:41 AM on January 13, 2007

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Mike Skallas's ad-blocking hosts file. It should work for any windows-based browser at all.
posted by NortonDC at 12:11 PM on January 13, 2007

The downside to AdBlock: you will forget what the Internet looks like. Whenever I use someone else's browser setup, I'm astounded by the amount of junk that appears on simple web pages. I've used AdBlock so long that the appearance of this stuff surprises me.
posted by SPrintF at 12:14 PM on January 13, 2007

Oh, that's SO true. When I switched to Opera (speed issues) it was slightly shocking (even though I was expecting it) until I got a handle on its Block Content feature and had blocked a few dozen sites or so.

Anyway, if you're using Opera, right click-->Block content--> click on the offending ad to block it. You can also click "Details" after you click Block Content to edit the blocked path (to, say, http://*advertising*).

To stop animations for a specific site, it's right click-->Edit Site Preferences-->Content tab-->uncheck "Enable GIF/SVG animation". Or you can stop gifs in general from animating with Tools-->Preferences-->Advanced tab-->Content-->uncheck "Enable GIF/SVG animation" and just use Edit Site Preferences whenever there's a gif you want to see. (Notice that you can specify the url of the site--although it defaults to the first part of the page you're on--so I suspect you can just enter the url of the gif itself.)

If you're talking about Flash animations, I'm not sure if Opera's Block Content works on them. The Flashblock extension for Firefox, however, does. It can be found here and still lets you see a Flash thing by clicking on it.
posted by sleeplessunderwater at 12:55 PM on January 13, 2007

safari? pith helmet.
posted by krautland at 2:17 PM on January 13, 2007

I use The Proxomitron. One reason I like it is that it's extremely flexible; I can use it to change all kinds of things.

Blocking sites is easy; it's a built-in function. But I've set up rules for some sites to override their hard-wired font and background colors or to override their hard-wired font choices. I also use it for some sites to feed bogus refers in order to bypass login requirements. (Some sites will let you in if they think you're coming from Google.) It's a very flexible tool.

Because it's a proxy, it works equally well with IE and Firefox.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 2:36 PM on January 13, 2007

I installed adblock, but it doesn't seem to block Flash ads. Am I wrong?
posted by ikkyu2 at 3:12 PM on January 13, 2007

ikkyu2: Think you need Flashblock for that, not 100% sure if adblock doesn't have that functionality though.
posted by chrissyboy at 4:39 PM on January 13, 2007

There's a difference between Adblock and Adblock Plus. With the first one, you have to do all the work, the latter comes with the option of using one of a few pre-defined lists of blocked content that pretty much blocks everything, Flash included. Adblock Plus is much less hassle to use as all the work has pretty much been done for you.
posted by TheDonF at 12:23 AM on January 14, 2007

At work, I'm forced to use IE and can't install Adblock or other useful and sanity-saving programs. Which settings can I change to at least stop the infernal flashing and blinking?
posted by KRS at 5:35 AM on January 14, 2007

On FF I find the best balance using flashblock on its own. It's only an extra click to see the contents for videos and art sites. If there are annoying images I right click and choose 'Block images from blah.com' which is invariably an adserver rather than the site itself (I presume it's the same or about the same as adding something to the host files and I think this is standard with FF and not from an addon. I've done it maybe a couple of dozen times and it doesn't come up but once a fortnight with heavy use I guess).

I don't mind text ads and sometimes click on them to support a site and rarely because I want to see the product/site. As long as image ads don't move they don't distract me so I generally leave them alone (although I tend to load the 'single page' or 'print version' of for eg. news articles which also helps).
posted by peacay at 6:37 AM on January 14, 2007

Thirding the Proxomitron. There has never been a more elegant tool for parsing ads and other annoyances out of the Web.
posted by killdevil at 7:23 AM on January 14, 2007

I'll go w/that one, thanks.
posted by wfc123 at 8:20 AM on January 16, 2007

And of course, just days after I posted this question, I came across this in the NY Times biz section.
posted by wfc123 at 1:57 PM on January 23, 2007

« Older Any recommendations for childr...   |  If you could only cook recipes... Newer »