Where to go dancing in Manhattan?
January 12, 2007 8:28 AM Subscribe
I’d like to go dancing in Manhattan this Saturday night. The question is, where?
posted by CiaoMela to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (11 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
A few requirements, in decreasing order of importance:
1. Music. This is the most important. I’d like to go to a venue where the DJ is more creative than just playing the top-40 hits of the last year. I particularly love to dance to soul, funk, and R&B, including older stuff. No techno/electronica.
2. Venue. I prefer small to big. I’m not interested in the 4-floor places with huge crowds. Bars with smallish dance floors are great.
3. Crowd/vibe. I’m not a hipster, but I’m not a B&T girl, either. Just a slightly nerdy 24-year-old who wants to get her groove on. Prefer laid back over glitzy.
4. Small or no cover. I’d pay, but it’ll be easier to get my friends to come along if this isn’t much of a concern.
5. Location doesn’t matter much, though I’d like to avoid the Meatpacking District. Extra points for East or West Village.
Specific venues would be greatly appreciated. Likely venues and DJs to look for would also be very helpful. I’d like to do this more than just once, so I’d greatly appreciate suggestions of resources for looking this up in the future. I tried sifting through TimeOutNY’s website, but I had a really hard time finding useful information. Suggestions for places that have live music and dance floors happily accepted, too. Thanks!