How to disable Firefox spell check when context menu is stolen?

How do I disable Firefox's spell check (for a specic field) in Google Docs when on right click I can only get the Google Docs' context menu?

Firefox 2 has a built in spell checker, which I like. If I don't want it on for a certain textarea I can right click and uncheck "Spell check this field" -- but Google docs has its own right click context menu, so I cannot uncheck this (and am using Google docs for a notes which often contain my own abbreviations). I cannot find any other option other than turning off the spell check altogether. Disabling javascript yields no context menu whatsoever on right click.

Any ideas?
posted by jacobjacobs to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

In Firefox 2.0 the spell checker box to check or uncheck is found under tools>options>advanced under the "general" tab. I don't understand the Google part of the question.
posted by Brian B. at 10:16 AM on December 19, 2006

Ah, I will clarify: Google has it's own right click menu (Copy, Cut, Paste, type stuff). And incidentally, I just want to disable the spell check for Google Docs.

For example, if you right-click inside the comment box below with Firefox 2.0 you'll see the "Spell check this field" option... I cannot get this option b/c Google has its own menu, not the default one.

Aha, in searching for another screenshot I have found the answer. Not perfect (displays both context menus!) but doable.
posted by jacobjacobs at 10:54 AM on December 19, 2006

« Older Help me help my almost 99-year...   |  Going by the style of clothing... Newer »