Help me show new coworkers that I can make some great food!

Saladfilter: I'm at a new job this year and the Christmas party is coming up next week...

While they're catering the main course, everyone else was asked to bring a salad or dessert. So the pressure is on to bring a salad that is different than all the rest of salads!

Does anyone have a great salad recipe? Can be green salad, pasta, bean...anything delicious! (though I would like to keep it vegetarian if possible...or fish/shrimp)
posted by lil' ears to Food & Drink (22 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Ambrosia! It's a salad and a dessert. And it's certainly different. Or rather, "retro."
posted by amro at 10:00 AM on November 30, 2006

I have an easy, delicious broccoli salad recipe that's gotten me through many a work potluck--e-mail me (address in profile) if you'd like it.
posted by paleography at 10:10 AM on November 30, 2006

Nothing fancy, but no one else will bring it: Broccoli and avocado, tossed with a little lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Throw in a few almond slivers if you feel so inclined. So tasty.
posted by j-dawg at 10:11 AM on November 30, 2006

My MIL makes a crunchy ramen-noodle cole slaw that is surprisingly awesome and addictive. Everyone scarfs it down. I think this is probably a similar recipe.
posted by tastybrains at 10:30 AM on November 30, 2006

Wait, I was totally wrong and gave you the wrong link - this is more similar to the salad my MIL makes. The other one has pineapple and miracle whip and crap that doesn't sound good at all. Sorry!
posted by tastybrains at 10:32 AM on November 30, 2006

Seconding the ramen-noodle cole slaw!!
posted by dpx.mfx at 10:41 AM on November 30, 2006

Red cabbage coleslaws are yummy and sort of different, here's a basic one. I like apples and raisins in mine, and other assorted spices; cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, etc.
posted by glip at 10:50 AM on November 30, 2006

Here is the best ever 7-layer Jell-O Salad EVER. But be aware - this will impress them like no other. Be prepared for the implications of making the best dang salad.
posted by Sassyfras at 10:52 AM on November 30, 2006

Over the years, this has proven to be a crowd pleaser:

-boston "butter" lettuce;
-tamari roasted walnuts;
-red onion;
-blue cheese;
-Annie's raspberry vinaigrette (not the low-cal version)

Toss and serve. The flavors work very well together, and it's different than your every day salad.
posted by Amizu at 10:56 AM on November 30, 2006

I second the broccoli salad, that's one of my pot-luck staples too. Many recipes call for bacon, but I just omit it and it still tastes great.
posted by cabingirl at 11:08 AM on November 30, 2006

Seconding amro's ambrosia suggestion. It's so delicious, you can make it the night before in about 10 minutes, and all you need to do before serving is stick a spoon in the bowl.

My only difference is my family uses low-fat sour cream instead of evaporated milk. Sounds sort of gross, but it cuts the sweetness and adds a really nice tang. Also, throw in a generous handful of maraschino cherries.
posted by gatorae at 11:13 AM on November 30, 2006

home made hummus
posted by mdpc98 at 11:14 AM on November 30, 2006

I took this salad to a party about a year ago, and then immediately began keeping orange juice concentrate in the freezer so that I could make dressing whenever I want. Tasty, tasty, tasty.
posted by Sara Anne at 12:22 PM on November 30, 2006

Watermelon & Feta salad. It's really a summer thing, but it's both delicious and weird as all get out - two points in one!
posted by mygothlaundry at 12:32 PM on November 30, 2006

I love going to a potluck and having a big green salad. Romaine, Spinach, Arugula and maybe the mixed "mesclun" greens for a base. Then some combination of: dried cranberries for sweetness and texture. water chestnuts for crunch, mandarin oranges or fresh grapefruit sections, red onion slivers, avocado slices, sliced mushrooms. Don't go overboard with toppings. Get some sesame ginger dressing, and dress the salad very lightly before serving. You may have to go to a natural foods store to get good sesame dressing, but it's worthwhile.
posted by theora55 at 12:39 PM on November 30, 2006

How about a tomoto mozzarella salad?

Fresh mozzarella (Bocconcini if you can find it), cut into bite size chunks.
Grape tomatoes.
Fresh basil, chopped
Brianne's French dressing
Salt and pepper to taste
posted by mamaquita at 12:54 PM on November 30, 2006

spinach, organic if you want flavor, baby spinach is cute.
cherries - they aren't in season, but are usually available - you can substitute raspberries if you have to. Cut the cherries into 6ths and de-pit them and toss them in a small bowl. If you have to use raspberries you will need to crush some of them slightly
bulb onions - slice them paperthin and toss them in with the cherries and mix and let sit for an hour or more.
make a vinegrette with 1/3 C balsamic vineg., 1/3 C rice vinegar, 3 tsp whole grain mustard and 3/4 C olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
if you want something crunchy add either toasted walnuts, or pomagranate (this keeps the red theme, adds crunch and flavor and fun)
When you get to the party assemble the ingrediants. Don't do it in advance or it will wilt too much.
posted by henryis at 1:14 PM on November 30, 2006

Here's a salad I invented:

1 thing of crumbled feta
1 tomato
1 head romaine lettuce
1 red pepper
Sliced cucumber
1 can black beans

Slice up red pepper and tomato, mix with lettuce.
slice cucumber and place slices in a ring around inside edge of bowl.
Drain can of black beans
Put black beans in center of lettuce
Put feta on top

use some sort of oil or vinegar type dressing and crutons.
posted by Ironmouth at 1:15 PM on November 30, 2006

Depending on where you live, good fresh produce can be hard to come by in December. Consider that before going for something based on tomatoes, etc. Here’s a simple salad with a romaine lettuce base, which is fairly easy to get even in winter.

1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 cup dried cranberries (craisins), reconstituted
1 cup blue cheese crumbles
Newman’s Own Oil & Vinegar dressing
Smoked turkey breast, julienned (optional)

General rule—don’t add the dressing until a lettuce based salad until just before serving.

If you need to feed a lot of people, consider doubling everything.
posted by mauglir at 2:27 PM on November 30, 2006

1 bag frozen White corn (thawed), yes it has to be white.
Chop :
Green Pepper
Red Pepper
Jicama
Fresh Cilantro
Mix
Sqeeze the juice of 1 lemon And 1 lime over it
Mix
Salt & pepper to taste.
Easy, and I usually get asked for the recipe.
Can be made the day before.
posted by BoscosMom at 2:32 PM on November 30, 2006

Thanks everyone, these all look great! Watermelon and Feta?!!? That one may have to be on the table!
posted by lil' ears at 3:41 PM on November 30, 2006

I'll go along with the ramen noodle cole slaws.

One of my favorite salads is similar to mauglir's: romaine lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, dried cherries or small chunks of pear, sunflower seeds and a nice vinaigrette of some sort (either mustard or balsamic).
posted by srah at 5:58 AM on December 1, 2006

« Older My brother and I are planning ...   |  I read a short story a few yea... Newer »