Unified duality?

Is there a word which describes a state where "importance" and "non-importance" happen at the same time? A word describing the unity of duality, the oneness of paradox, and "two sides of the same coin"?
posted by Korou to Writing & Language (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I am not sure if you can incorporate those concepts into one word. "importance and non-importance" are from the perspective (point of view) of the person defining or experiencing the event and implies a judgment/value. The other examples are physical or non physical events/concepts free of judgment. I am not sure "two sides of the same coin" is the same as the oneness of paradox because I do not know what oneness of paradox is. If I were looking for a value free word to express the oneness or intrinsic unity of events I would probably use "inherently complementary" or "complementary", "coincident" "complete" or apparently some other "c" word. Good Luck
posted by rmhsinc at 12:39 PM on November 15, 2006

The Singularity
posted by clunkyrobot at 12:49 PM on November 15, 2006

Are you asking several discrete questions, or do you want one word to work for everything?

A Synthesis is the outcome of two separate and opposite theses. A dialectic is the process by which these propositions combine.

I don't think either of these hit the nail on the head, but they might be helpful in clarifying.
posted by miniape at 12:51 PM on November 15, 2006

Indifference
posted by StickyCarpet at 1:16 PM on November 15, 2006

I get the feeling submitter is going for something new-agey ('the oneness of paradox?') and there is might be a word from an Eastern religion that fits the bill. I don't know what it would be, though. If it's a state of mind or being - enlightenment?

Or perhaps it has somethign to do with Monism. Or maybe Dualism: "In mystic traditions such as Zen, a key to enlightenment is "overcoming" this sort of dualism, without merely substituting it with monism or pluralism." But I can't really find the right word.
posted by PercussivePaul at 1:32 PM on November 15, 2006

Tao (see: yin-yang)?

I think, on some level 'the oneness of paradox' is a tautology as 'paradox' is the relation between the two (or more) seemingly opposite points (one definition I found: A statement that contradicts or seems to contradict itself, yet often expresses a truth, such as "Less is more")
so by describing the statement as a paradox you are naming the duality.

Also synthesis is the bringing together of thesis and antithesis
Synthesis: "the act of putting different representations together, and of grasping what is manifold in them in one act of knowledge. Considered pure if the manifold is not empirical. Synthesis is what first gives rise to knowledge, ie it is not analysis. It is an act of the imagination."
posted by iurodivii at 2:10 PM on November 15, 2006

On the track of what PercussivePaul said, there is the Chinese Taoist concept wu wei. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei for the wikipedia entry.

On a different tangent, I won't be the person to try to introduce half-understood ideas from quantum physics into this thread.
posted by aught at 2:12 PM on November 15, 2006

Dichotomy?
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 2:23 PM on November 15, 2006

"Anomalous".
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 2:56 PM on November 15, 2006

Pratitya-samutpada
posted by goethean at 3:05 PM on November 15, 2006

This reminds me of the goals of yoga - attention to detail and striving for perfection and yet non-judgemental attitude as to whether one has achived it or not.
posted by chocolatepeanutbuttercup at 3:07 PM on November 15, 2006

Is there a word which describes a state where "importance" and "non-importance" happen at the same time?

I think you'll need to explain how importance can be something that "happens" in order for this question to make any sense, but is it possible that the word contradiction could describe the situation you're thinking of, albeit somewhat generally?

A word describing the unity of duality,

Duality is not inherently monistic.

the oneness of paradox,

That's incoherent as it is phrased here.

and "two sides of the same coin"?

I think that's as brief as that idea gets.
posted by clockzero at 3:17 PM on November 15, 2006

Probably not what you're looking for, but do you know the word apatheia?
posted by kimota at 3:23 PM on November 15, 2006

Thanks everyone! These words are all great.

However, the word I'm looking for describes a synthesis, but plays up the tension between things.
posted by Korou at 4:22 PM on November 15, 2006

Perhaps you are thinking of a Hegelian synthesis.
posted by oddman at 6:23 PM on November 15, 2006

Synchronicity?
posted by fourcheesemac at 7:27 PM on November 15, 2006

A word describing the unity of duality, the oneness of paradox, and "two sides of the same coin"?

Ambiguity.
posted by frogan at 9:09 PM on November 15, 2006

Quantum theory includes the concept of entanglement:
... the way that particles of energy/matter can become correlated to predictably interact with each other regardless of how far apart they are ...

Entanglement is a real phenomenon (Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance"), which has been demonstrated repeatedly through experimentation [yet] cannot ... be fully explained by any theory. One proposed theory suggests that all particles on earth were once compacted tightly together and, as a consequence, maintain a connectedness.
posted by rob511 at 11:22 PM on November 15, 2006

« Older Is the noise of my uninterrupt...   |  Help me find a new car.... Newer »