What does DS & DD mean in forums?

What does DS and DD mean on forums?

So I always see people refer to their son or daughter as DS or DD, respectivly, on forums. Sample post
What the heck does this mean?
posted by Maia to Computers & Internet (13 answers total)

Dear Son, Dear Daughter?
posted by vacapinta at 11:47 PM on October 26, 2006

As explained here
posted by vacapinta at 11:49 PM on October 26, 2006

Darling Son, Darling Daughter. Mrs. Scoo refers to me as DH on some of the boards she posts to.
posted by Scoo at 4:00 AM on October 27, 2006

Double Sided, Double Density.

Strangely, its appropriate.
posted by softlord at 6:18 AM on October 27, 2006 [2 favorites]

What is the point of DS, DD, etc? In conversation, do these people actually say "I was talking to my dear son the other day" and if not, why do they use it on a forum? Odd.

I'm going to start using DC when I mention my cat.
posted by necessitas at 7:48 AM on October 27, 2006

I always thought it was meant sarcastically.
posted by j at 8:00 AM on October 27, 2006

Also, DS4 usually means "dear son, 4 years old."

do these people actually say "I was talking to my dear son the other day" and if not, why do they use it on a forum?

Do people actually roll on the floor, laughing out loud? People are silly. Even sillier online.
posted by Alt F4 at 8:03 AM on October 27, 2006

I suspect it's partially because single letters like D, S and H look odd. Otherwise I imagine it started somewhere where referring to your Darling Husband was an injoke and spread outwards.
posted by jacquilynne at 8:17 AM on October 27, 2006

Besides being cute and silly, it's useful when you don't wish to use your family member's name. With 'Dx', you can preserve anonymity without having to awkwardly change sentence structure.
posted by bluejayk at 10:05 AM on October 27, 2006

I hate this convention so much. How hard is it to type "son"? And why do you need to be so secretive about his name? And sometimes people get all "M@tt" or "L1nd@," like someone is seriously going to Google a common first name and find their forum.

But "DH" is funny because I always mentally substitute "designated hitter."
posted by GaelFC at 10:50 AM on October 27, 2006

Gael- that made me LOL- for real.
I will now do the same and think of you each time.
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 2:33 PM on October 27, 2006

Developmentally Disabled?
posted by crabintheocean at 3:08 PM on October 27, 2006

There is many a forum I can no longer read because the sheer twattiness of these terms drive me mad. They are the textual equivalent of wearing a sweatshirt with an airbrushed kitten on the front.

The only thing worse are the ones trying to get pregnant who use the term "babydance" in all seriousness.
posted by Sallyfur at 10:43 PM on October 27, 2006 [2 favorites]

« Older Is there a way I can turn my m...   |  Total beginner to investing an... Newer »