Creepy as in "Casper" hotel near NYC?

Looking for NYC-area hotels with stories of hauntings and/or assorted creepiness. Friends are coming to town this Friday 13th and are looking for some correspondingly creepy digs.

I know about the Chelsea and the Algonquin hotels, but they're too expensive. We're looking for some less bourgeois ghosts. New Jersey, Long Island, and slightly upstate are ok, too.
posted by the jam to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (1 answer total)

I don't know if this is the sort of creepiness you crave but the carter hotel near times square is absolutely horrific.

I made the mistake of thinking $100/night would at least get me something clean, the shower only had cold water, there was trash piled up a floor high in the lightshaft outside my window and the four chains on my door were there for a reason. I'm still not sure whether the hooker that kept on insisting I had called her was a man, woman or both but even my sheets were cleaner than...

well, you get the idea.
posted by krautland at 6:03 PM on October 9, 2006

« Older Where can I find a particular ...   |  Does your placement during the... Newer »