So many options, how do I even begin to understand health insurance for our company's employees?
October 9, 2006 10:16 AM Subscribe
Please explain health insurance to me from an employer's point of view!!!
posted by radioamy to health & fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I work for a commercial construction company with about 20 full-time employees. I asked my boss what he thought about providing health insurance for us, and he said "if you look into it I'd definitely consider it." So I requested quotes from a couple big companies (Aetna, BCBS, United HC) but I really don't understand all the information! I need someone to explain this to me in plain English, because when I look at the quotes I just see a jumble of numbers!
In particular, my questions are:
- In general, what should I be looking for in a plan?
- Some employees have kids - is the company obligated to provide coverage for them?
- Are there any fine print things I should look out for?
- Can an employee get coverage in this state (Louisiana) if their permanent residence is in another state?
- How much of a plan does an employer usually pay for? Does it matter to the insurance company who is paying for it?