Free Snellen Optotype font?

Font/Typography hounds! Trying to find a free Snellen Optotype style (font used in vintage eye charts) like this:

Will Work For Free Fonts!

Please help!
: )
posted by spock to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You are aware there's a $10 version, right?

Would you settle for another slab serif?
posted by booksandlibretti at 9:29 PM on October 5, 2006

If I was a professional designer I would spend the $10 in a heartbeat. But I'm just a poor font snob (and I have a hard time believing a font this simple to make isn't out there somewhere).
: )
posted by spock at 9:35 PM on October 5, 2006

Rockwell (bold) is pretty close. There's a free version on this page. I'm pretty sure "Rockney" is the exact same font too.
posted by O9scar at 9:56 PM on October 5, 2006

Rockwell is a not bad suggestion! (But that Rockney imitation really sucks).
: )
posted by spock at 10:00 PM on October 5, 2006

try dafont.com even if you don't find this one, its a must have site for font geeks :)

reg
posted by legotech at 10:12 PM on October 5, 2006

Note that the $10 Snellen Optotype font only includes C, D, E, F, L, O, P, T, and Z.
posted by Optimus Chyme at 11:08 PM on October 5, 2006

This looks to be pretty close. The serifs off the back end of the E don't look as long, but otherwise, its close and free.

Acknowledgement
posted by gregschoen at 3:56 AM on October 6, 2006

You might also try Courier Bold.
posted by fandango_matt at 7:35 AM on October 6, 2006

You can't really just swap in different typefaces and have a completely useful Snellen chart. The weights of the strokes are quite carefully selected to subtend 1 minute of arc (at 20/20). The glyphs subtend 5 minutes of arc. The letters C, D, E, F, L, O, P, T, and Z suffice, as these are the only ones used in Snellen's original design.
posted by rlk at 8:07 AM on October 6, 2006 [1 favorite]

Suddenly I realize I've just made the ridiculous assumption that the poster wants to make a Snellen chart, as opposed to designing something else that looks convincingly like a Snellen chart.

I generate charts for a (small) part of my research, so that's where I'm comin' from.
posted by rlk at 8:12 AM on October 6, 2006

« Older Good news: I have been offere...   |  I have a dear pal with a coke ... Newer »