A tough drive to mount . . .

Every time I boot up my Intel Imac, I have to unplug and then replug my external hard drive in order for it to mount. It's a 160GB Seagate SATA internal that I put in an iRocks 3.5 enclosure (USB). When I open up Disk Utility, the drive is not displayed in the left column (until I unplug, then plug). It's just storage for my EyeTV files, but still annoying to have to do that every time. Ideas?
posted by drewcopeland to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

After you boot, open up Applications > Utilities > Terminal and type:

sudo autodiskmount -v

Can you tell us what happens?
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 12:19 PM on September 30, 2006

It asked me my password. I put it in, and it return to the command prompt.
posted by drewcopeland at 1:07 PM on September 30, 2006

Did it mount the hard drive? I'm guessing no if you only get back the command prompt, and no information about the drive.

My guess is that the USB controller on your hard drive enclosure is not working properly.

If you know someone with another external hard drive, this can be verified by rebooting with their hard drive plugged in.

If so, USB enclosures are an inexpensive replacement-repair.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 1:22 PM on September 30, 2006

« Older Adoption? Foster parents? What...   |  Can someone identify the music... Newer »