morning sickness

Pregnancy filter: How soon after fertilization of the egg can morning sickness start?
posted by josher71 to Health & Fitness (23 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Some women report it after only a few days. It is thought to relate to rising betaHCG levels, which are detectable after about a week.
posted by roofus at 2:05 AM on September 26, 2006

Sorry, meant to add that she found out she was pregnant four days ago an already has morning sickness. Is this normal?
posted by josher71 at 2:06 AM on September 26, 2006

I had morning sickness before the at-home test kits read positive.
posted by b33j at 2:19 AM on September 26, 2006

That's perfectly normal. Some people would even interpret it as a good sign of a healthy viable pregnancy.
posted by roofus at 2:37 AM on September 26, 2006

If she found out she was pregnant four days ago, chances are she was fertilized much earlier, yes? And what everyone else has already said :)
posted by antifuse at 2:45 AM on September 26, 2006

My wife had morning sickness before the at-home test kit read positive.

She then had morning sickness for the next 9 months.
posted by Jimbob at 3:15 AM on September 26, 2006

Well, as far as I know she was fertilized six days ago. Then two days later took a pregnancy test and was positive.
posted by josher71 at 4:04 AM on September 26, 2006

Wow, that sounds very, very early for a positive pregnancy test. I don't actually know if it's technically possible with the test you have to show that early (have you read the instructions that come with the test?), but anecdotally I do know that my wife recently showed negative test results (despite being pregnant) until a full three weeks after conception. Onset of morning sickness can vary greatly, but my understanding is that most cases won't be until 5 or 6 weeks (since date of last period, not conception) at earliest.
posted by bifter at 4:34 AM on September 26, 2006

Let me just put it out there that I don't know this woman too well, or pregnancy that well, and I'm just trying to suss things out. I guess we'll see what happens with the DNA test.
posted by josher71 at 4:37 AM on September 26, 2006

This website seems to indicate that testing early is more likely to result in a false negative.
posted by b33j at 4:50 AM on September 26, 2006

I agree that having a positive pregnancy test two days after an egg is fertilized is quite unusual. I didn't get a positive test until about twelve days after the day I pretty much consider my son's conception date (and I tested a few times before that, and those tests were negative).

[and now that I think about it, today is the six year anniversary of discovering I was pregnant.]
posted by Lucinda at 5:02 AM on September 26, 2006

Try seabands - wristbands for seasickness - some women report success with them.
posted by theora55 at 6:39 AM on September 26, 2006

Anecdotal experience, and many examples from the crazed TTC (trying to conceive) people on The Nest suggest that most people don't receive an accurate, positive test result until at least 8 days past ovulation (conception usually happens within about a 48-hour window of ovulation, I believe) and more commonly, 10-14 days. I'd think getting a positive result 2 days after conception would be impossible, though I think some symptoms can definitely kick in a few days before the missed period.

That said, I think if one is especially concerned about being pregnant, either because they really want to be or don't want to be, psychosomatic symptoms such as morning sickness, fatigue, implantation pains, etc. might very well appear.
posted by justonegirl at 6:40 AM on September 26, 2006

Based on what I've read, the hCG levels in the urine, which are what make the test positive, don't really raise until implantation, which is 8-12 days after fertilization. Which means a pregnancy test 2 days after fertilization couldn't indicate pregnancy - under normal circumstances, of course. The hCG is also what I think would cause the morning sickness.

A friend of mine who was being a little crazy about the being pregnant thing went to her doctor about a week after she thought she may have conceived. He told her there was no way he could test at that point, told her to come back after she had missed her period, and sent her home.
posted by thejanna at 6:47 AM on September 26, 2006

if one is especially concerned about being pregnant, either because they really want to be or don't want to be, psychosomatic symptoms such as morning sickness, fatigue, implantation pains, etc. might very well appear.

Agreed.
posted by Miko at 7:54 AM on September 26, 2006

Remember there are things that can cause elevated HCG levels above normal for that gestational age. Two common ones are molar pregnancies (very high HCGs at times) and twins (twice what is expected).
posted by i_am_a_Jedi at 8:33 AM on September 26, 2006

Some people would even interpret it as a good sign of a healthy viable pregnancy.

I'll second that. Mrs. Doohickie was terribly, awfully morning sick with the two pregnancies that resulted in little Doohickies. The five pregnancies where she had no morning sickness ended in miscarriage.
posted by Doohickie at 10:13 AM on September 26, 2006

Mrs. Plinth got morning sickness very soon after theoretical pregnancy and both times turned from theoretical to real upon testing. Her MD laughed at her the first time, but not the second time.
posted by plinth at 10:32 AM on September 26, 2006

Do you want us to ask what this is supposed to mean, or do you just want to leave it out there? Are you talking about Chorionic Villus Sampling? As far as I know that is presenlty the earliest available genetic test, at 10-11 weeks. Are you planning to use that to determine paternity? I'm not even sure that's possible. Are we missing something here? Is there a subtext on which, perhaps, the hive can be helpful?
posted by The Bellman at 12:31 PM on September 26, 2006

The implication I got was that josher71 slept with a woman 6 days ago and heard 2 days later that she's pregnant. He is wondering how likely it is that she conceived and started experiencing morning sickness so quickly after they had sex. It sounds unlikely but there's no way to know for sure at this stage.
posted by rhiannon at 5:39 PM on September 26, 2006

Rhiannon has it exactly right.
posted by josher71 at 2:00 AM on September 27, 2006

I have no idea how long you have to wait to determine paternity. I have the sinking feeling that this kid is not mine. But, again, there is no way to know.
posted by josher71 at 2:02 AM on September 27, 2006

Ahhh I see. Indeed, a positive pregnancy test after two days seems... A bit silly. Girl should have at least waited a few weeks before trying to rope you in!

This happened to an acquaintance of my girlfriend - got real hammered, slept with the girl (who he'd met that day), has evidence of using at least one condom, can't remember the rest of the night, she comes to him a week later saying she's pregnant, and that it's *definitely* his (even though she was bragging the day before about sleeping with like 3 different guys at the time, but nobody ever told him that). Baby is born 3 months "premature", at 9 pounds (!) and he is still convinced the baby is his.
posted by antifuse at 3:07 AM on September 27, 2006

« Older What's wrong with the tomatoes...   |  Does anyone know any technique... Newer »