when it rains...
September 20, 2006 11:42 AM Subscribe
How much money should I loan a very good friend of mine in a tough situation? I feel lost as to what I should do. (extended facts in the extended)
posted by whatitis to human relations (33 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
A very good friend of mine has had things go horribly wrong for her in the past couple weeks. Fiance broke up with her, lost her job, car had a boot put on it...
- She does not have enough money ($851) to pay to get the boot taken off. It was apparently put on because of outstanding tickets from a prior roommate who used the car, but my friend never knew of the tickets.
- Her parents are already loaning her money to cover her bills.
- I am in school, but work weekends. I've been working and saving up money for something. Without getting too specific, it's something that would make me a very happy person for a long time, I've been looking forward to it for a long time, etc. etc. but it is not a necessity.
- The money I have saved would cover the boot bill.
- I don't know when I would be payed back, but probably not for a long while.
- She lives in another state, needs a car to get a job, and the likelihood of getting the city to waive $851 in tickets is nil.
So how much should I loan my bestest friend? I have the money and want to help her, but am struggling with my own... selfishness. Do I offer to pay part of it and hope the rest of our mutual friends pick up the rest? What are my obligations?
Or just a discussion.... I feel more than a little lost. Any thoughts to help me help her are appreciated ahead of when they are posted.