Help identifying an empty German flask I found?

I'd like some help identifying an empty flask I found in a drawer.
It's from Germany, and bears the inscription "Herrenberger Blutwurzelansatz / Weinhaus Gläßer / Brennerei Herrenberg / Deutsches Erzeugnis".
The bottle is at least 10-12 years old, and doesn't mention any overseas distributor. Could it have held an herbal wine, or a liqueur?
posted by Smart Dalek to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

I reckon it's schnapps - the most important part is the "Blutwurzelansatz" part, which in my pathetic German translates literally as "Blood root start". Herrenberger is probably the brand name and where it was made, and the rest is just saying who made it and that it was made in Germany.

"Blood root" appears to be a medicinal herb, possibly Sanguinaria canadensis.
posted by Jimbob at 4:23 PM on January 12, 2004

Actually, it's more likely to be Potentilla erecta, another medicinal herb.
posted by Jimbob at 4:38 PM on January 12, 2004

What JimBob said. It sounds like an herbal schnapps, most likely from Herrenberg near Stuttgart.

This site suggests that Blutwurzel is potentilla erecta, which is a cinquefoil. It mentions that it can be used to treat diarrhea, or as a mouthwash.
posted by Ljubljana at 4:39 PM on January 12, 2004

Curse you Jimbob! :)
posted by Ljubljana at 4:44 PM on January 12, 2004

also a Brauerei is a brewery and the 'Brenner' in Brennerei means 'Burner'... So Brennerei is like a brewery with more burning?
a burnerery?!
posted by darkpony at 1:05 AM on January 13, 2004

darkpony - sounds like you've described a distillery...

But why couldn't they just say that? ;-)

Thanks to all for your help!
posted by Smart Dalek at 1:16 PM on January 13, 2004

« Older As a budding web designer, wha...   |  I need a recommendation for an... Newer »