Recommend adventure games from the last 5 years
August 1, 2006 11:25 AM Subscribe
Recommend some cool adventure games from the last 5 years to me.
posted by bent back tulips to Computers & Internet (37 answers total) 36 users marked this as a favorite
I've never been interested in computer games, but recently I played Discworld Noir
(being a Pratchett fan) and really enjoyed it, to my surprise. Now I'm looking for other games of a similar nature. Things that I particularly liked about it:
- It had an advancing plot, and interesting characters
- Plot wasn't a rather generic D&Dish fantasy plot (eg, anything with the phrase "restore the kingdom/crown...")
- It wasn't based on obscure, irrelevant puzzles ("tie the octopus with the string, pour the custard in the toilet and put the octopus in it...")
- There was little skill involved... eg fighting, lightning reflexes and such.
- You can't lose the game, or die, and you're allowed to repeat events if you "fail" the first time
- The graphics! They actually impressed me, given that I think the last games I played were Wolfenstein 3D and Day Of The Tentacle, 10+ years ago. I have low standards.
- It runs in Windows XP (hence the "last 5 years" stipulation, as a guideline). I do have a little old laptop running Win98 on 16MB RAM if there's a really good game that needs it, but would prefer not to.
Pretty much all of these are negotiable, except the first and last. Last week I played the Blade Runner
game which was wonderful, just what I had wanted. I've also started with The Longest Journey
, which is a bit dull so far but I'm working through it.