Anybody know how to program a keyless remote?

How do I program the keyless remote to work with my '95 Honda Odyssey van?

It worked when I first got the car, but the batteries quit and I didn't replace them very quickly and now I think it's forgotten how to do its job and needs reprogramming. I have googled to no avail. The remote is a KOBUTA1T.
posted by wsg to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

This works for the Accord and the CR-V, so it should work for the Odyssey too:
Step 1: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 2: Push remote lock button
Step 3: Turn ignition switch off

Step 4: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 5: Push remote lock button
Step 6: Turn ignition switch off

Step 7: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 8: Push remote lock button
Step 9: Turn ignition switch off

Step 10: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 11: Push remote lock button
Step 12: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 13: Within 8 seconds, press the 1st remote lock button
Step 14: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 15: Repeat steps 13-14 for each additional remote.

Step 16: Turn ignition OFF and remove key.
Step 17: Confirm all remotes work.
posted by CrayDrygu at 9:48 PM on July 25, 2006

It doesn't appear to be working. Maybe I need a new one. I'll try again in the morning. Thank you!
posted by wsg at 10:32 PM on July 25, 2006

Ah, when I posted that, I was mistakenly under the impression that your car battery ran out and you didn't replace it quickly. If that's not the case, then it's pretty unlikely that your car just "forgot" about that particular remote.

I did a little more digging for you, and it turns out that my instructions were wrong anyway. Here's the correct instructions for a 1995 Honda Odyssey with factory-installed keyless entry:
1. Open the driver's door.
2. Push the driver's power door lock switch to the unlock position and hold it. (Continue to hold the switch during this procedure.)
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch, then remove it. Repeat this four more times (five times total) within 10 seconds. (You must complete steps 3 and 4 within 10 seconds or the system will exit the programming mode.)
4. Insert the key into the ignition switch. After you insert the key, make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm that the system is in the programming mode.
5. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the transmitter. All the power door locks (except the driver's door) should cycle to confirm that the system accepted the transmitter's code.
6. To program a second transmitter, press its "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button within 10 seconds of programming the first transmitter.
7. Release the master power door lock switch to exit the programming mode.
I found those instructions in this honda-acura.net forum thread. You might try searching around on there (or even posting) if you keep having trouble. Of course, talking to your local Honda dealer couldn't hurt, either.
posted by CrayDrygu at 11:03 PM on July 25, 2006

The batteries in the remote are what quit, not the car.
posted by wsg at 9:24 AM on July 26, 2006

« Older I am planning on buying a Synt...   |  Am I dumb for being paranoid a... Newer »