Can you help me identify this current hip hop track with lots of MCs on it?

Hip hop song identification plea: the song is super-minimal, recently released, and has lots and lots of MCs on it.

The song in question has very minimal beats - pretty much just drums, with the occasional keyboard stab, quite driving, but not frantic - and a huge number of MCs on it, including Missy Eliot, DMX, Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe (I think). The chorus (or a repeated section, anyway) is done by a female MC with a very distinctive delivery, who sounds lazy, as if she's rapping while half-asleep, in an accent that sounds (to British ears) like it might be from the Southern states. In total, there must be about ten different MCs, or groupings of MCs. I'm afraid I can't remember any of the lyrics.

I'm assuming it's recently released, and a hit, as I heard it being played in a shop and caught a snippet of it on a music channel in the space of two days last week. The video is as simple as the beats, with each of the MCs doing their bit in a plain room, most of them dressed in bright, primary coloured clothes, and subtitles come up to identify each of the MCs as they take their turn.

Any ideas? Googling all the artists I can identify on the track just brings up past collaborations, and I can't find the song on the Hip hop collaborations page at Wikipedia.

Thanks in advance!
posted by jack_mo to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

Busta Rhymes - "Touch it", maybe? There's a number of remixes around.
posted by swordfishtrombones at 4:03 AM on July 17, 2006

Seconding Touch it (Mega Remix) - 9'00"
posted by meech at 4:09 AM on July 17, 2006

It's not the most reliable of confirmations, being a badly written Amazon.co.uk customer review (by Phill "thanewdanger", no less), but scroll down this page and there's information about the numerous remixes, featuring Missy, Rah Digga, DMX, Mary J Blige and her rapping alter ego, and a few others. The fact that he says "they all come together for the video" seems to indicate that this is what you're after.
posted by Len at 4:45 AM on July 17, 2006

Thanks everyone!

So, who is the lazy-sounding lady who does the 'touch it, bring it...' bit Rah Digga? Because it doesn't sound like Missy or Rah Digga.
posted by jack_mo at 5:09 AM on July 17, 2006

It's a sample from Daft Punk's "Technologic".
posted by swordfishtrombones at 5:26 AM on July 17, 2006

It's a sample...

I think it origionated with Daft Punk's Technologic. They just slowed it down... a lot. I think they also added a minor variance to the playback speed.
posted by phrontist at 5:27 AM on July 17, 2006

Blast, bested again!

While then, to make my posting worthwhile I'll add that if you slow down Technologic (thus returning the sample to it's origional speed) it sounds like Thomas Bangalter.
posted by phrontist at 5:29 AM on July 17, 2006

Ah, I knew the lyrics were familiar from somewhere. Thanks for the extra info.
posted by jack_mo at 6:46 AM on July 17, 2006

« Older Help me be the coolest camper ...   |  Help me prepare a presentation... Newer »