Help fix a Macbook's iSight?

Why won't my Macbook's iSight work?

When trying to open Photo Booth I get the following error message:

"Photo Booth cannot open because no camera is attached or the camera is in use by another application."

I have restarted, powered down, installed the latest OS upgrades and followed this advice, with no luck. The camera doesn't work in any application that would support it (iMovie, etc.). It has worked in the past, but I don't know when it stopped working. And no, no other application using the camera is running.

Anyone run into similar problems? Black 2GHz Macbook FWIW.
posted by Robot Johnny to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Is there a specific erroe message in your error log? (Check out whatever Console.app says.)(Should be in /Aplications/Utilities/ .)
posted by john m at 10:53 AM on July 4, 2006

Have you installed a Dashboard widget that uses it?

Also, go to Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info > USB and see it's there.
posted by cillit bang at 10:56 AM on July 4, 2006

Unfortunately, I can't check my error log, since I'm at work. But no, I have no widget using the camera... the green light is off, and even on a fresh restart (no apps running) it won't work.
posted by Robot Johnny at 11:14 AM on July 4, 2006

Just a thought: Did you migrate system files from a PowerPC-based Mac to the (Intel-based) MacBook? When I did this, iSight started flaking out on me. I ended up deciding to do a complete reinstall with the system restore discs.

Not quite the same as your problem, but it could be related.
posted by tepidmonkey at 2:02 PM on July 4, 2006

I'd say it's time for a trip to an Apple store genius bar. I've never heard of a macbook's internal isight dying.
posted by mathowie at 2:11 PM on July 4, 2006

Check to see if iChat is running in the background. Even though you don't use it for Video Chats, it does hinder the camera working in other applications.
posted by KimG at 2:52 PM on July 4, 2006

A few people on the MacRumors forum and elsewhere have had iSight problems. I second the advice of a trip to the Genius Bar.
posted by jammer at 8:13 AM on July 5, 2006

« Older What kind of water heating sys...   |  How much should I charge as a ... Newer »