Bad 1980's sports movie, anyone?

Yes, it is a 'what was that movie that I can only remember one scene of?' thread...Featuring the 1980's (I think).

The only scene I remember is a guy who drives out to a pair of trees, parks his oversized truck (with grills on the headlights) and shines his lights at a bar that he goes to and practices his gymanstics routine. It was one of those 'overcoming great odds through sports' movies, I think. I also seem to remember slow motion shots of him chalking up his hands at a competition.

I remember it being pretty bad but not knowing what it was is driving me a little nuts.
posted by nadawi to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

American Anthem?
posted by bingo at 8:46 PM on June 12, 2006

I think I remember the lead guy being more sandy haired, but I could be totally wrong.

At the very least, Mitch Gaylord is one of the funniest names ever.
posted by nadawi at 9:00 PM on June 12, 2006

Sounds like Vision Quest.
posted by lunalaguna at 9:01 PM on June 12, 2006

Could it be Gymkata?
posted by maryh at 9:08 PM on June 12, 2006

Bingo is right. It is American Anthem.
posted by willnot at 10:10 PM on June 12, 2006

AKA: That Mitch Gaylord movie.
posted by scarabic at 10:25 PM on June 12, 2006

And put in lots of shots where the camera peers into the light source, so the heroic youth can be seen in silhouette as he tosses back his head and sweat flies through the air. [from willnot's link]

Thanks Bingo...
posted by nadawi at 10:48 PM on June 12, 2006

scarabic, it's AKA "that 25 year old Janet Jones in a one-piece showing off her...um...flexibility movie". To me, anway.
posted by bartleby at 11:05 AM on June 13, 2006

Ha! Thanks, lunalaguna. I've wanted to see 'Vision Quest' again, but forgot the name :-))
posted by Goofyy at 3:05 AM on June 14, 2006

« Older What can you tell me about dia...   |  So, I applied for an AmEx cred... Newer »