What's so good about Charlotte, anyway?
April 22, 2006 8:17 AM Subscribe
I'll be moving to Charlotte, North Carolina in three months - and I have no clue what to expect. How do I find good online resources, specific to Charlotte, to help me figure out how to survive?
My wife just got a really good job in Charlotte, so we'll be moving there in three months. I've been living in one of the largest cities in the country (next to New York / LA) my entire life, so I've grown accustomed to a certain level of urban-ness and access to almost every kind of cultural offerings available. My wife is really sympathetic to the silly little angst I've been going through surrounding moving to Charlotte, so she's offered to let me have a bit more autonomy in finding a place to live, etc. ...and that's where MeFi comes in.
We're going to do a "research trip" to Charlotte in a few weeks - I've never been there and I think a lot of my worrying will subside once I'm on the ground and get a good feel for the city. Our primary goal is for me to learn as much as I can about the immediate Charlotte metro area so I can make some informed decisions on where to do some housing searches later on. I've done extensive searching online, but there seems to be a lack of sites targeted at what I'm looking for. If someone can just give me an URL that would answer my questions, that'd be really appreciated.
- What neighborhoods / areas should I look at? I want something fairly urban, so an large spacious apartment or loft space is mandatory. I know we could rent a house fairly inexpensively, but... um, that's not me. I might be able to do a townhouse, but it would have to be REALLY chic. I already know about NODA and the Dil..Dil...Dillweed, Dilbert, Dilard? areas - are there any other neighborhoods I should focus on? How dense & residential is the Uptown area?
- Where is the LGBT neighborhood(s?)
- Where is the neighborhood where the poor trendy artists live?
- Where can I find a good snobby beer pub? (I will easily pay $9 for a goblet of a good Belgian.)
- How diverse is Charlotte? I'm coming from a city that is REALLY segregated - and I hope that Charlotte would be more ethnically diverse and integrated.
- Are there any other suggestions / tips you would give to an artist & musician moving to Charlotte?