Small email client

I am looking for a small email client i can use in stead of my webmail.

It has to do the following: retreive and send mail (without deleting the mail from the server). I dont need it to store the mails - in fact i would prefer it not to. At the same time I dont want it to mess with my already delicate system defaulting to thunderbird and outlook express and i dont want to set up multiple users on my system or in these two clients. I use XP.
posted by FidelDonson to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

opera has a mail client, or eudora
posted by killyb at 1:56 PM on April 5, 2006

Portable Thunderbird, maybe?
posted by mragreeable at 2:56 PM on April 5, 2006

Would anything on this list be helpful to you? (Under "Email Clents", obviously.)
posted by roryks at 3:24 PM on April 5, 2006

Don't know if this helps, but if your ISP allows it what about using Telnet to log into your account via Lynx? It's a handy lo-tech way - you don't have to know a plethora of command lines or anything, and can often do the trick.
posted by rmm at 6:17 PM on April 5, 2006

Opera will do the trick. on a thumbdrive or on disk.
posted by the giant pill at 7:49 PM on April 5, 2006

hosted gmail? It's request invite only but I got one in about a day or so and it's spiffy. Plus you get to use google's storage space :)
posted by heartquake at 8:22 PM on April 5, 2006

PC-Pine is a fairly lightweight and competent IMAP client. It has a bazillion configuration options, which means it can do just about anything you might want it to do, but it might take some experimenting to find the combination you like.
posted by hades at 9:41 PM on April 5, 2006

« Older I need suggestions for tech-re...   |  So I'm selling my house, it's ... Newer »