Is alltunes safe?

Is alltunes safe?

More here.
posted by fixedgear to Computers & Internet (25 answers total)

Safe in what way?
posted by cillit bang at 4:22 AM on March 31, 2006

Credit card payment concerns. Sorry, I thought that would be pretty clear.
posted by fixedgear at 4:34 AM on March 31, 2006

I have never had a problem with them - probably only put in £20 or so once so I wouldn't take it from me that they are "safe" - is anywhere though?
posted by twistedonion at 4:36 AM on March 31, 2006

You can use the Xrost option to pay. See this lifehacker comment.
posted by CunningLinguist at 4:42 AM on March 31, 2006

I've been using allofmp3 for at least 2 years now (I think they are the same people with a new name). I've used my credit card to refill my balance several times without the slightest problem. The allTunes browser application is head and shoulders above the old allofmp3 explorer, and I'm very excited to continue my shady Russian downloading with it.
posted by Rock Steady at 4:51 AM on March 31, 2006

I don't know about AllTunes, but AllOfMp3.com accepts PayPal, which should insulate you from any hacking.
posted by cillit bang at 4:52 AM on March 31, 2006

Clarification: Yes, alltunes is allofmp3 with a new name/interface. I couldn't see a way to fund the payment with PayPal which would give me an extra layer of protection. I put ten bucks in with a credit card.
posted by fixedgear at 4:56 AM on March 31, 2006

Alltunes is the iTunes-like version of allofmp3.com.
It's a separate browser/preview player/downloader for allofmp3.com.

Allofmp3 no longer takes Paypal either. Too many charge-backs and other problems.

Use your credit card. We all pay these jacked-up interest rates so that we can use fraud protection and contest charges when we need to.
I think a Paypal virtual card will work with allofmp3.com, but I'm not 100% sure. That would be your 'safest' option if you are really worried.

That all being said, I do love allofmp3.com
posted by whoda at 5:03 AM on March 31, 2006

AllofMP3.com includes an "is it safe" type FAQ on their site. This includes a link through to Assist - who are their credit card processors. They appear to be reputable (when I first used this route I also did a trawl to see if people had been having problems - apparentlythey have not).
posted by rongorongo at 5:23 AM on March 31, 2006

I did some research into this a few months ago. The payment gateway they use is apparently a well-established and legitimate Russian c/card processor: Allofmp3 never actually see your card details. Unless things have changed in the past few months, you should be fine.
posted by blag at 5:26 AM on March 31, 2006

I figured you're feeling okay about this topic by now, but what the heck, I'll contribute to the cheering throng.

AllOfMp3 is perfectly safe; I used a debit card connected to my PayPal account, and I monitor my transactions religiously. Nothing unusual at all.
posted by Merdryn at 6:48 AM on March 31, 2006

me too.
posted by BigBrownBear at 7:06 AM on March 31, 2006

Safe as in legal? Here's the first paragraph of their disclaimer:

All materials in the Internet-Audit LLS projects are available for distribution via the Internet in accordance with license # ХХ-ХХ-ХХ-ХХ of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license agreement, Internet-Audit LLS pays license fees for all materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited.

Are you folks nuts? You give them your name and credit card number, remember. So all the RIAA has to do is look you up in their database and the evidence to damn you is right there.

But hey, it's legal under Russian law. Good enough for me.
posted by fourcheesemac at 7:33 AM on March 31, 2006

I've been using AllOfMP3 for ages and never had any credit card problems with it. AllTunes is really cool, much better than their previous download manager.
posted by speranza at 7:40 AM on March 31, 2006

Oh boy. There's a wikipedia article about them. Apparently they hang their hat on "technically legal" and their Russian smokescreen makes litigation difficult.

So why not just go for broke and download all you want for free from a P2P network? Ah, it feels good to be able to believe, sort of, that what you are doing is legal and ethical, or that someone else is taking the ethical and legal risk, or somewhere, somehow, something that is obviously wrong is legal. See no evil, hear no evil.
posted by fourcheesemac at 7:42 AM on March 31, 2006

I don't think fixedgear was worried about the RIAA's version of ethics.
posted by delmoi at 8:06 AM on March 31, 2006

What about the "version of ethics" in which most of his/her musical heros believe?
posted by fourcheesemac at 8:10 AM on March 31, 2006

People don't use AllOfMP3 to try to convince themselves that if they just pay something for music, it must be legal. I am under no illusions about AllOfMP3 being legal in my country, but I use it because I could not be bothered with the hassle of file-sharing - with AllOfMP3 you get a whole album, of whatever quality you prefer and with no DRM. It's quick and easy and you know what you're getting.

Also, living in a country (UK) where CDs can be stupidly expensive, it does feel nice to get music so cheap.
posted by speranza at 8:36 AM on March 31, 2006

I don't have any musical heroes. I had one, but he turned out to be a sad pathetic junkie, so I got disillusioned. Like speranza, I don't want torrents, P2P, opening ports, sharing, being a host, etc. I just want to point, click and buy.
posted by fixedgear at 8:41 AM on March 31, 2006

I don't care much about the legality. I use AllOfMp3 because #1) I can pick my own format/quality, and #2) I don't have to worry about nobody seeding the stuff. I'll pay for a good service, and it's a damn good one.
posted by zerolives at 9:27 AM on March 31, 2006

Also, I'd just like to point out that there are completely rational ethical systems that do not include intellectual property rights.
posted by delmoi at 9:43 AM on March 31, 2006

I don't get people not paying the producers of music for their work, especially art. It's so petty.
posted by parallax7d at 10:50 AM on March 31, 2006

$4000 for my itunes library would not be petty. And at that price, it would not exist. I happily attend live shows.

Note to artists: Music is now free (or in this case--cheap). Make money playing live. Change with the times, or fail.

Back on topic: I have never had a problem with allofmp3. A friend did have his credit card number stolen after using allofmp3. No proof it was the Russians but it was used on a Russian dating site. He cancelled the card, reversed charges, no further problems.
posted by vaportrail at 12:12 PM on March 31, 2006

2ish years of using AllofMP3 and over $120 spent. Not a single problem other than my own CC company calling me to verify that I made the first couple of charges.
posted by FlamingBore at 2:02 PM on March 31, 2006

Same as FlamingBore... have been using AllofMP3 for about 2 years and no problems. I upload $10-20 at a time with a cc. Tried out the new AllTunes and it's amazing.
posted by kdern at 2:22 PM on March 31, 2006

« Older Mp3 Player for my 80 year old ...   |  How do you ask for a local in ... Newer »