Wikis designed to fit with a larger site?

What are some examples of a wiki being tied in as part a larger site - with static pages, a forum, whatever - with a consistent skin between them?
posted by Hot Like Your 12V Wire to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

discogs.com's help system is wiki-based.
posted by aubilenon at 5:45 PM on March 24, 2006

Melbourne Wireless
posted by pompomtom at 6:09 PM on March 24, 2006

Dkosopedia is a wiki whose entries are referenced as links in the political blog dkos. So if there's some politician or political event that you want to provide background for in your blogposts, you could simply reference the appropriate dkosopedia entry.
posted by gregb1007 at 6:28 PM on March 24, 2006

I spent a little time reskinning phpBB2 over to the MediaWiki theme on my site about Google Maps API:

http://www.mapki.com/
posted by yellowbkpk at 6:56 PM on March 24, 2006

Mac Rumors guide
posted by cillit bang at 7:14 PM on March 24, 2006

I implemented CBHP.org; it's based on MediaWiki.
posted by Loser at 8:55 PM on March 24, 2006

It seemed to me that Hot Like Your 12V Wire was looking for wikis that were part of a larger site and shared the same design. If my assumption's right, Melbourne Wireless is the only one of these that does that. Mac Rumors guide is close, but it's just the main site header on top of the normal wiki styles. (CBHP looks really nice, but the whole thing's a wiki.)
posted by kirkaracha at 10:54 PM on March 24, 2006

The World of Warcraft Wiki.
posted by sophist at 11:25 PM on March 24, 2006

City of Heroes Stratics has put their wiki into the pre-existing site template for near seamless static non-wiki content and the more dynamic wiki content.
posted by missed at 2:23 PM on March 25, 2006

City of Heroes Stratics is what you're looking for.

IMHO, the difficulty of doing what you described is precisely why there aren't more integrated wikis, and why wikis tend to look crappy.

MediaWiki in particular (which I've worked with more than others) is extremely difficult to modify compared to other template-driven CMSs like Drupal and Blogger.

BTW, the Melbourne Wireless site appears to be running a modified version of Drupal; they removed the generator meta tag that would prove it, but Drupal does everything they've implemented on their site.
posted by Geektronica at 6:54 PM on March 25, 2006

« Older Help me help my brother make a...   |  I need ideas to Dress my 3 and... Newer »