Help me choose a PDA
March 8, 2006 4:28 PM Subscribe
Help choose a PDA for a sysadmin with a laundry list of requirements
posted by saraswati to computers & internet (23 answers total)
I know the PDA category has been beaten to death but I searched and couldn't find anything in the last year with what I'm looking for. I'm constantly being pulled into "mini-meetings" at work while walking the halls. It gets frustrating when I'm in the middle of several big projects because my mind is usually elsewhere. I've decided that a pen and paper agenda would end up being more hassle to carry around and make sense of than anything. So now I've arrived at a PDA, and here's what I need out of it:
- Handwriting and/or voice recognition. Handwriting is the biggest thing because voice probably wouldn't work well enough to be useful (correct me if you have a PDA that proves otherwise)
- The ability to sync to a Windows desktop with Bluetooth is strongly preferred
- Wifi for web browsing while on the road
- Seamless integration with Outlook 2003. Email, Calendar, Tasks. I need it all.
- A Secure Digital memory slot so I can use a card I already own (not a necessity)
- A belt clippable case and should be reasonably compact and light.
- Even if I have to buy a higher capacity battery, I'd like to be able to get through an entire day (~10 hours) without a charge if this is possible. Use would be pretty much limited to note taking, calendaring and desktop synchronization.
I definitely do not need it to be a phone or an mp3 player, either. The most I'd like to spend is about $600. Please help! Recommendations based on your personal experience with the product are especially welcome.