2DD floppies?

Does anyone still make 720K 2DD floppies? If so, where can I get some?
posted by monkey closet to Computers & Internet (16 answers total)

Froogle: 720 floppy
posted by nathan_teske at 11:37 AM on January 30, 2006

It's been a long time since I used a floppy, but can't you write to 1440K disks with a 720k drive?
posted by clearlynuts at 12:20 PM on January 30, 2006

yup, the 1.44 mb floppies should work fine.
posted by caddis at 12:21 PM on January 30, 2006

er, meaning, the drive will write 720k on a 1440k disk ...
posted by clearlynuts at 12:21 PM on January 30, 2006

For no good reason I have a big unused stack of them. If you'd like them (and pay shipping) I'll send them your way.
posted by O9scar at 12:47 PM on January 30, 2006

If a 1.44MB floppy won't work for some reason, just cover up the hole without the write-protect slider.

I remember seeing ads more than 10 years ago in computer magazines for a punch that would convert 720kB floppies to 1.44MB floppies by making that hole. The theory was that floppy manufacturers used the exact same disk inside. I tried it myself with some metal snips and it indeed worked.
posted by zsazsa at 1:06 PM on January 30, 2006

Back when I was still running Cubase 2.0 on Atari ST, I often found that running 1.44MB floppies often caused problems. No idea why, but I would often have failed disks when using HD disks in the DD drive.
posted by coach_mcguirk at 1:24 PM on January 30, 2006

nathan_teske has showed me up. I tried a few combinations, but not one that worked...

For reference, it's for an old piece of (Yamaha) music hardware. 1.44 disks *don't* work, and neither does covering the hole...
posted by monkey closet at 1:28 PM on January 30, 2006

correction, that froogle search (in the uk at least) just give loads of links to the same Amazon 'this product has been discontinued' page. Think I'll be emailing O9scar...
posted by monkey closet at 1:33 PM on January 30, 2006

You need to have them formatted for 720. They come out of the box formatted for 1.44. I think windows still allows formatting at 720, and if not there are freeware programs that will do it for you. It isn't as good as using a real 720 drive to format them as the r/w head is half the width but it is supposed to work.
posted by caddis at 1:42 PM on January 30, 2006

Format command syntax
posted by caddis at 1:45 PM on January 30, 2006

I know from experience that if your drive is a 720K drive, like say, an Amiga 1010, the 1.44 disks won't work. I believe the magnetic characteristics are different. You might look at some eBay old computer equipment auctions, but my experience is that the 5.25 C64 floppies last longer than the Amiga 720K ones (I know Amigas formatted to 880K instead of 720K, but the disks are the same DSDD).
posted by rfs at 1:49 PM on January 30, 2006

Interesting stuff in the Wikipedia. Still, a fresh diskette that has been manufactured for high density use can theoretically be formatted as double density, but only provided that no information has ever been written on the disk using high density mode (for example, HD diskettes that are pre-formatted at the factory are out of the question). The magnetic strength of a high density record is stronger and will "overrule" the weaker lower density, remaining on the diskette and causing problems. Best to stick with unformatted disks. They are usually cheaper anyway.
posted by caddis at 2:19 PM on January 30, 2006

Or you could just use these.
posted by caddis at 2:28 PM on January 30, 2006

Well, I'm not sure you want me to ship things to the UK, but if there's any kind of computer recycle/reuse shop in your area, they probably have reusable floppy disks.
posted by O9scar at 2:35 PM on January 30, 2006

monkey closet writes "For reference, it's for an old piece of (Yamaha) music hardware. 1.44 disks *don't* work, and neither does covering the hole..."

You need to low level format the 1.44MB to Double Density using a PC, then cover the hole.
posted by Mitheral at 3:00 PM on January 30, 2006

« Older TV Commercial Filter: I swear ...   |  Where can I find an official s... Newer »