Trying to find a short story

I’m trying to find a short story. It’s told from the perspective of a teenage girl; her mother dies or has recently died. The girl withdraws from all her friends, and almost all of them stop reaching out. One friend leaves the girl cards or maybe flowers or a plant on her porch every week. The friend says (I’m not sure if implicitly or explicitly) hey, I know you’re not ready to be in the world and talk to me, but I’m here when you’re ready.

I believe I read the story in a compilation of short stories, probably 10-15 years ago. It’s possible/probably that at least some of the details above are wrong to some degree.

The story taught me a way to be there for people going through a difficult time and has had a significant positive impact on my life - I’d like to read it again.
posted by insectosaurus to Grab Bag 5 users marked this as a favorite

« Older Hardwired fire alarms are so sensitive we can't...   |   We need help navigating screen limits for our 12... Newer »