Early stage kidney disease

Someone close to me was diagnosed with Stage 2 kidney disease.

THey said keep blood pressure down and a few dietary suggestions, and not to take NSAIDS but also said there is no actual treatment. I can't find information on how fast kidney disease progresses and if there is actually treatment at this stage well before dialysis that this specialist didn't mention.
posted by velveeta underground to Health & Fitness (5 answers total)

This is an early stage. Here's some info which basically matches what your person said. They should probably make an appointment with a nephrologist. Here's some more info.
posted by clone boulevard at 5:45 PM on November 10

Look at table 1 in this study In the April 2016 issue of Pediatric Nephrology.
posted by SyraCarol at 6:35 PM on November 10

It depends.

It depends on the cause of the kidney disease, whether there are other health issues at play, etc. Everyone is different.

The advice your loved one received is the standard advice I received until I hit stage 5 (I'm ok!) and good advice in general.

Your loved one will need to talk with a nephrologist, of course, but your loved one may feel frustrated because besides managing blood pressure, diet, and stress, there's little else the doctors will tell you to do. It's maddening because you want to be proactive, but kidney disease is a daily exercise in patience and surrender.

As a datapoint, I was diagnosed with pkd at 30 and went from Stage 2 to Stage 5 in 9-10 years. But pkd is its own thing. Some conditions advance faster, and others advance slower. In fact, some people advance so slowly they never have to go on dialysis and they just hang out at Stage 2 or 3 to a ripe old age. My doctors really had no idea how long it would take even when I was in later stages and even with detailed family history.

My best advice is to manage bp, eat right, reduce stress, don't smoke at all and don't drink too much booze, and get regular bloodwork so you can benchmark how things are going. Travel, do your hobbies, cultivate friendships. Live and enjoy.

I hope this helps. Feel free to memail me if I can help, ok?
posted by mochapickle at 7:51 PM on November 10 [2 favorites]

The National Kidney Foundation has a lot of good information, as well. Here's a page on their site for people who are newly diagnosed. Most chronic kidney disease doesn't have treatment other than managing symptoms (of which there often aren't a lot at Stage 2), but a nephrologist would be the person to determine that. The stages of chronic kidney disease are correlated to GFR, which you can find the definition of at any of the links shared so far but is useful to be aware correlates with the percentage of functionality remaining in your kidneys. So Stage 2 CKD = GFR of 60-89 = approximately 60% - 89% functionality.

I was diagnosed with CKD at Stage 3 about 10 years ago, and it progressed to Stage 4 three years ago after a bout of sepsis caused my kidneys to fail temporarily. I see my nephrologist every 3-4 months and have labs regularly and nobody has any idea how long I will be in Stage 4 or whether I will progress to Stage 5 at all. Careful management and a close eye on my GFR are all we can do. (On preview, what mochapickle said.)

This book was helpful to me earlier in my diagnosis -- it's by someone who has CKD, and is targeted at the newly diagnosed.
posted by camyram at 7:57 PM on November 10 [1 favorite]

My mother is Stage 4, with comorbidities than she is not even close to being compliant with... my humble advice for the person close to you:

Take mild exercise seriously. Walking is fine, treat it like therapy for your soul. Doesn't have to be every day but it's not a shabby habit to have in place. Movement is good for the body.

Start researching CKD diets. As you get to know your levels and have conversations with your doctors, you will get a master list of things that you are allowed to eat without complicating your micronutrient levels. There really is no one solid cookbook to help navigate this but there are a ton of free resources available online. I sat down with my mother's levels and recommendations and started drawing up my own home- tested version of a cookbook especially for her (and we all eat those dishes, so they are non-CKD approved, too). It wouldn't hurt to start trying out things that are lower potassium, lower salt, right kind of fat, etc. Developing a taste for these reduced quantities took about a month but it was worth it.

Trust your doctors and trust your body. If you're feeling more tired than usual, report it. If you're having random edema/swelling that looks like you're having an allergic reaction, report it. If your heart races, report it. Make a daily log in a spiral notebook and note things that feel out of the ordinary and what you ate in general. Little things can show a progression over time and that will help your doctors at every visit monitor your care even better.

Know that you've got this. No matter the timeline and stage, you will meet this challenge head-on.
posted by missh at 6:53 PM on November 11

« Older We co-signed for a private student loan, now...   |   Personal Information and Political Organizations.... Newer »