Who Has Covered Donna Summer's Version of MacArthur Park (Suite)?

I heard a male voice covering Donna Summer's version of MacArthur Park (Suite) on college radio (KALX) the other day, and I can't seem to find it myself online ... Does this ring a bell for anyone? It's a man singing, and it's pretty darn faithful to the 17:48 medley, i.e MacArthur Park, then One of a Kind, then Heaven Knows, and then Reprise. If anyone knows any recorded covers of Summer's version, I'd appreciate any info.
posted by mrgrimm to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You can find some recordings on Discogs.
posted by TheGoodBlood at 3:16 PM on October 11

oops, misread, disregard :(
posted by TheGoodBlood at 3:22 PM on October 11

Was it maybe Richard Harris (although technically, I think Donna Summer's was a cover of his version)?
posted by mhum at 3:27 PM on October 11 [5 favorites]

I wasn't familiar with the Donna Summer version, off the top of my head, so I checked youtube for it, and found a version with this info in the caption:

"MacArthur Park" is a song by Jimmy Webb in 1968, originally composed as part of an intended cantata. Richard Harris was the second to record it. Other covers include Donna Summer's disco arrangement from 1978 and Waylon Jennings's version recorded in 1969. Maynard Ferguson, Stan Kenton, and Woody Herman all performed big-band jazz arrangements.

I added YT links to those other artists.
posted by Sunburnt at 3:50 PM on October 11

If you know roughly what day/time you heard it, the station's playlist data goes all the way back to 2014.
posted by lovecrafty at 3:51 PM on October 11 [1 favorite]

Yes! The KALX playlists are all online. The Richard Harris version is correct! You heard it on Bee Phly's show on a recent Wednesday morning. (I did, too.)
posted by kendrak at 3:55 PM on October 11

I heard it too!!
posted by latkes at 4:07 PM on October 11

(it really warms my heart to know people actually listen to kalx. thanks for the reminder, mefites!)
posted by kendrak at 4:29 PM on October 11 [2 favorites]

Was it playing on Mel's Rockpile?
posted by peagood at 7:10 PM on October 11

To clarify, it's not a cover of MacArthur Park, it's a cover of Donna Summer's long medley that starts and ends with MacArthur Park. It's called MacArthur Park (Suite) and it's a disco epic. It's one of my most prized 12-inch records (though I probably got it for $2-3.)

It starts with disco MacArthur Park (~8 minutes), then shifts back and forth between other Donna Summer songs--One of a Kind at 8:24 and Heaven Knows (featuring the silky voice of Brooklyn Dream's Joe Esposito) at 13:24--then reprising back with a cake in the rain climax for the last minutes.

So I'm looking for a cover of that 18-minute medley, with a male singing lead. AND THE KALX SITE IS DOWN.

(I didn't remember when I heard it but I think it was morning. I scour those playlists a lot, and FWIW, kendrak, the site has been giving me security certificate errors from Google for a long time now ...)

I'm facing acceptance. It's like that scene in While We're Young when they talk about marzipan .. "let's just not know."
posted by mrgrimm at 10:03 PM on October 11

Huh. Do you remember the time of day?
posted by kendrak at 2:26 AM on October 12

Tragedy (the metal tribute to the Bee-Gees and beyond) does a good cover. It's on their "Solo Albums" release. It's just MacArthur park though, not the rest of the suite.
posted by BishopFistwick at 9:22 AM on October 12

Do you remember the time of day?

I thought it was in the morning, which would have been between 8:30 and 9 am last week, but I've scoured all the playlists and haven't found it.

It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to find, as I've never heard anyone cover the whole 18-minute medley before.

I only caught the last 5-6 minutes, so it's possible it wasn't the whole thing... I'm pretty sure it wasn't Mike Flowers, though.

I went through a few of these at SecondhandSongs.com, but I officially give up.
posted by mrgrimm at 12:07 PM on October 12

« Older I love you...sober you   |   Antique Textile Appraisal Newer »