We all like sheep! Er, all we.

Looking for recommendations for a Handel's Messiah practice app, or just a CD/tracks. An app that I can speed up/slow down would be awesome, but if you have a favorite CD/MP3 recording that you recommend for practicing the Messiah alone I'd like to hear about it. Android is preferred but I have access to an old iPhone if there's a really good iOS-only one.
posted by Tehhund to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

An app that I can speed up/slow down would be awesome.....Android is preferred but I have access to an old iPhone if there's a really good iOS-only one

Do you mean, you only are interested in phone apps? If not, Transcribe! is the best slow-down-for-learning application I have used.
posted by thelonius at 9:13 AM on October 9

Cyberbass is frequently recommended by my fellow chorus members.
posted by rekrap at 9:51 AM on October 9

I've used both Cyberbass and Choraline lines in the past. Both can be downloaded as mp3.

It's been a few years since I used either though because it's mostly chamber-style pieces I'm doing these days rather than big choral works.

You can slow down the parts on the Cyberbass website which is nice. Choraline also has an extra version where you can sing along with the words, instead of just the notes.
Words help me when I'm learning, at least in the beginning. I'm hesitant to definitively recommend one over the other as it depends a lot on how you like to learn.
posted by irishalto at 10:16 AM on October 9

nthing cyberbass.
posted by hollisimo at 4:54 PM on October 9

Not sure I'm on the same track with regards to what you're asking, but one useful thing Audacity can do is slow down the playback without altering the pitch ... meaning you can listen to an MP3 slowly without the pitch going lower as a result of the slower playback.
posted by WCityMike at 10:28 AM on October 11

« Older How do I convert per capita to actual numbers?   |   Best time to sell comics collection? Newer »