Gluten-free, dairy-free teff-based pie dough hack?

I made this whole-grain teff based pie crust tonight. I made it as written and then baked it at 325 for 25 minutes or so in hopes of firming it up. I like the taste a lot, and I like the texture of the whole teff -- but even with the baking it ended up kind of sticky rather than having the texture of a baked dough. Any thoughts on how to modify the recipe to make it a bit more solid in the end?

I can find other gluten-free pie crust recipes - what I'd really like is to keep the teff intact and yet have it be a bit more like an actual baked good. Other recipes that do this would be welcome too.
posted by 2 cats in the yard to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

ok I will preface this by saying I have not worked with teff. But the general principle would be to add flour, so I would suggest taking part of the teff and grinding it in the food processor as finely as you can. And if you want more whole teff just add more extra.

(I'm open to being corrected by teff experts if teff is a special case!)
posted by fingersandtoes at 6:53 PM on October 8 [1 favorite]

Note: I haven't worked with teff, so I could be very wrong, but I've baked enough that I'm going to talk anyway.

Ok, so that looks like a shell made of baked porridge with a lot of chewy dried fruit. Sort of like polenta. But I don't care what grain you use, I can't imagine it would ever resemble traditional pie crust/pastry in texture. Like flipping polenta. I doubt that adding flour would improve it. The boiling and fruit is going to make it chewy anyway.

Pastry pie crust is made the same way, more or less and depending on recipe, no matter what flour you use. So the teff would need to be flour.

I mean, if you wanted to have whole grain teff involved and have it not be baked porridge, you could make a basic cookie that includes whole teff, bake, crush, and do a crumb crust. Or try a similar basic recipe as a press-in, shortcrust style, in a tart pan. But I don't know how teff works in a low-moisture base.

I wish I had a magic recipe for you.
posted by monopas at 8:16 PM on October 8 [3 favorites]

I cook teff a bunch in savory pattie preparations and I can’t imagine the alchemy that would transform it into pastry crust. I would suggest grinding but I don’t think most folks have a tool at home that could mill it into flour as it’s such a teeny tiny grain. Even if you could get it finer I think it’d still be kinda sticky.
posted by kapers at 8:49 PM on October 8

Buy Teff flour? I've used it and it bakes up fine, like millet flour or cornflour. for a pie crust I'd mix it maybe 1:3 with regular gluten free flour. You could grind your own I guess but I just order my weird gluten free flours from nuts.com which is he cheapest place I've found. Yes really, that's what it's called.

btw, they are finally selling the celiac safe wheat flour from schar in the US now. It is ~not cheap~ but real pizza! Fuck yeah!
posted by fshgrl at 10:58 PM on October 8 [1 favorite]

I would try making the pie crust from teff flour using a traditional butter or shortening recipe (plus your dried fruits and spices).
posted by shoesietart at 8:37 AM on October 9

I was hoping that someone would have suggestions like xanthan gum or some other additive to make it more solid than porridge-like while also keeping the somewhat gritty texture of the grain itself, but it seems that adding some (or switching to) flour is the consensus on Ask. And actually I do have a mill that can grind teff (and other grains) into very fine flour.
posted by 2 cats in the yard at 3:34 PM on October 9

« Older how to stop ruminating about an ex-friendship   |   Seeking examples of good PHP code and architecture... Newer »