Diagnose my knee!

Short version - it hurts to put weight on my bent knee. The pain is at the front, roughly in the region of kneecap. There has been some tenderness just below the knee cap but that's not always present (currently isn't) so could be coincidence.

I know YANMD, I'm currently between doctors (she left the practice and hasn't been replaced yet), plus all they'd do is put me on a waiting list for physio and I just finished physio for a different issue - she wouldn't even look at my knee because it wasn't what I was referred for!

I first noticed the pain 6 weeks ago at roller derby practice -(there may have been a fall in the week before, its roller derby, falls happen heh but I don't remember anything in particular, I did take a heavy hit that week but I'm 90% certain the pain started before the hit). At first it was very mild, only present when skating and when the adrenaline kicked in I didn't really notice it. The next week it hurt a little more but still only when skating. I skated 7 hours that week and each time it hurt a little more and got to the point where it hurt when going up and down stairs and sitting down and getting up - basically any time my knee was bent with weight on it. There is no pain when bending my knee without weight on it.

Ice and rest seem to help (went back to skating last week to help out with the beginners class - so very light skating and it was worse the next day :( ) but I need to get better as fast as possible, my other half is having surgery in 8 days and when he gets out of hospital I'll need to do a lot of running around after him and running up and down stairs
posted by missmagenta to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Well, if it's tendonitis of any variety, you need to stop skating if you want to be able to assist your partner. RICE is the gold standard for any kind of tendon injury. But since it's under your kneecap, you may have to rule out meniscal tears. I am a distance runner (and hence have experience with a wide and annoying variety of tendon issues) but I am not a doctor and even if I was a doctor I couldn't tell anything on the Internet.

If you could find one, then your best bet would not (imo) be a doctor but rather a sports physiotherapist if you can find one without a waiting list. In any case, I would put yourself on that waiting list right now in case this proves stubborn.

Regarding your actual symptoms, you might look into Jumper's Knee. I was plagued with Jumper's knee when I was marathon training, and parts of what you describe sound similar to what I experienced.
posted by frumiousb at 4:21 AM on October 8

I had similar symptoms recently and was shocked! by the diagnosis of arthritis in my knees. I’m not very into woo, but turmeric +aspirin/aleve, and kinesiology tape have helped. Mine was bad enough that I ended up with a cortisone shot, which helped the most.
posted by Bourbonesque at 6:44 AM on October 8

Could be Femoropatellar syndrome, which I get frustrated whenever my doctor tells me that’s what I’ve got, because it’s basically Latin for Your Damn Knee Hurts. Athletes get it, but I basically get it because my misaligned skeleton is catching up to me after 5 decades. The fix is time and stretching and strengthening exercises and foam rolling. I’d suggest you start with a sports medicine doc and if they refer you to a PT, do it.
posted by matildaben at 7:07 AM on October 8 [2 favorites]

When I have knee pain in front/below my knee cap it often means that my quadriceps muscle on that side is tight and needs to be stretched/released.

I find Gary Crowley and Do-It-Yourself-Joint-Pain-Relief works pretty well when I am hurting a little bit. I linked to the section on knee pain. The theory that Gary Crowley is working from is that if you are having joint pain it is generally caused by muscle tightness pulling your joint out of whack. He helps you find the various often non-intuitive muscles that could be causing your pain and helps you release the tightness by moving the muscle through its range of motion while putting pressure on the part of the muscle that is tight/contracting.

posted by GregorWill at 8:33 AM on October 8 [4 favorites]

I had femoropatellar syndrome, the key sign of which is that it hurts more after you've sat for a while and then try to put weight on the leg. For me, going uphill was fine, but going downhill -- stairs, especially! -- hurt. It's not completely clear if this matches your symptoms, but if it does:

In my body [I have lordosis and anterior pelvic tilt; I look like I'm sitting up really straight all the time but it's only because my "slouch" is to arch my back and let my ribcage flare out], this was due to overtense IT bands -- now when I feel this, I stretch and foam roll the sides of my thighs.

Upside: rolling is cheap ($12 foam roller), and the stretch is easy ('figure 4' or half pigeon)
Downside: rolling hurts a lot (you'll know when you're on the right spot), half pigeon is also never fully pleasant to me
posted by batter_my_heart at 8:13 PM on October 8

« Older Belated Thanks; Funeral Version   |   True stories of atonement Newer »