Revival of "Assassins."

Broadway shows periodically experience revivals and new national and international tours. I'm wondering if there has been a revival of Stephen Sondheim's "Assassins" since winning a number of Tony awards in 2004. In the wave of mass killings after Columbine, has the show been staged in recent years, and what has been public reaction?
posted by CollectiveMind to Society & Culture (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I coulda sworn I first heard about this somewhere on Mefi, but I can't seem to find it - there was a brief revival as part of NY City Center's Encores! this summer. Here's the NYT review.
posted by btfreek at 5:20 PM on October 2

There's a production in DC starting next week, and it ran earlier this summer in NYC (on preview: hi, btfreek! I won't post the NYT review again).

It's coming to Minneapolis next year, brought to us by a theater company whose current production of Man of La Mancha takes place in an ICE detention center, so I am excited and optimistic.

Duluth, 2016
London, 2015

Seems to be generally well reviewed and not reviled as something inappropriate to stage.
posted by Flannery Culp at 5:24 PM on October 2

Our friend was in a production of it last year in Allentown, PA and it was well received.
posted by Diskeater at 5:36 PM on October 2

We performed it at my high school in 2006. (I played Oswald.) Since then I've seen productions of it in the SF Bay Area and in Chicago in 2014-ish.
posted by theodolite at 5:40 PM on October 2

It's performed quite frequently in regional professional companies, and even ambitious community theatre groups. It can be hard to cast though; to find enough extremely talented men to play those challenging roles can be quite difficult. But when well-done... it can be devastating. I can see that now it would be be even more so. Rather than be shelved in times like these, I can actually see it increasing in popularity.
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 6:15 PM on October 2

Funnily enough, the 2004 revival was forced to close earlier than anticipated because of the impending Republican National Convention in NYC that year.
posted by Bromius at 7:01 PM on October 2

I saw it in New Jersey a couple of years ago. I would say it isn't done a lot but it's done fairly often. I drove farther than I normally would to see a play because I've been wanting to see it.
posted by interplanetjanet at 7:33 PM on October 2

I saw a small production in Boston a couple years ago, much more fun than I expected, certainly worth watching for a local production. It did not seem to be a "big" show more a psychological study, well suited to a chamber sized environment.
posted by sammyo at 7:38 PM on October 2

In the last few years, I’ve seen it a couple times. Most recently, maybe two years ago? Small, local productions. But it’s still chugging.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 8:06 PM on October 2

I've seen 3 productions in San Francisco in the last 5 or 6 years. Man I love that play.
posted by janey47 at 8:07 PM on October 2

I saw it last year in Seattle.
posted by matildaben at 8:10 PM on October 2

And some reviews of the Seattle production.
posted by matildaben at 8:12 PM on October 2

The Yale Rep theater played it last season, Spring 2017, which was an interesting time. It had obviously been planned in advance of the election. Generally good reviews, although I agree with those that point out the stronger actors.
posted by cobaltnine at 8:43 PM on October 2

2015 in Baltimore. Fantastic staging by local troupe.
posted by ubiquity at 7:15 AM on October 3

The City Centers Encores production this past summer was well-received. It was going on shortly after the Julius Caesar controversy and I wondered if some of that anger would bleed over, but I didn't see any. That production was only 3-4 days, though.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 6:21 AM on October 4

« Older Do you know any affordable and not-ugly tile...   |   How to retrieve messages from 1970's era landline... Newer »