How do you do archaeology without the gun and the whip?

I'm looking for good sources on the practice and process of conducting archaeological digs. My Google-fu is coming up short on good sources because I probably don't know the right questions to ask, and university textbooks are expensive. Can anyone point me to good sources (video, books, websites) showing the process of surveying, extraction, etc?

This is for the backdrop of a futuristic sci-fi story. The process stuff won't be center stage and I'll doubtlessly get some stuff wrong or deliberately change it. I prefer to get it wrong by deliberate choice rather than ignorance. I'd like to show some respect for the real thing.
posted by scaryblackdeath to Science & Nature (13 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Try googling "Phase I Cultural Resource Survey" and you should get lots of guidelines and maybe even some actual survey reports.
posted by tryniti at 9:38 AM on September 22 [3 favorites]

This is an EXTREMELY good excuse to stream a bunch of episodes of Time Team.

In all seriousness, they do a good job of showing a variety of techniques and the types of team members that work together on a dig.
posted by Ausamor at 9:46 AM on September 22 [7 favorites]

Caltrans, (California's department of transportation), has some .pdfs you can download here describing context and methodology for a number of projects. Sonoma State University's Anthropological Studies Center has various documents for download as well.
posted by agatha_magatha at 9:51 AM on September 22 [2 favorites]

Archaeological methodology varies considerably based on numerous factors (e.g. local regulation, nature of material, the amount of time/money available, research questions, etc.). Here's a list of some archaeological manuals available online. Googling archaeological excavation manual or archaeological survey manual should provide lots of other examples.
posted by wollaston at 9:54 AM on September 22 [2 favorites]

Here's a list of resources from the Archaeological Conservancy.

Also wholly agree about Time Team! They frequently discuss best practices for site management, excavation methods, etc.
posted by orrnyereg at 10:16 AM on September 22 [1 favorite]

Also, Wessex Archaeology (Phil Harding's employer!) has lots of great (UK-centric, if it matters) information.
posted by orrnyereg at 10:17 AM on September 22 [1 favorite]

Oh I was coming in to say Time Team as well. It is a genuinely fantastic and informative show. Series 6-18 are the peak, I would have said.
posted by tinkletown at 1:07 PM on September 22 [1 favorite]

Re: textbooks: find out what's on the syllabus of a class near you. Then look up previous editions. It's likely that very little will have changed except that the old edition can be hundreds of dollars less. If you're just using it for research, you can also rent one for cheap for 3-4 months.
posted by curious nu at 2:17 PM on September 22 [1 favorite]

Just wanted to say thank you for the Time Team link. I'm watching them now and they're pretty awesome. :)
posted by darkstar at 5:32 PM on September 22

Re: textbooks. Cough.
posted by Iris Gambol at 9:03 PM on September 22 [1 favorite]

My SO is an archaeologist. Based on what I've learned from him, some additional points to consider:

-Archaeological methods vary by environment. In a desert, a phase 1 survey can be conducted by pedestrian survey (walking around looking for artifacts). In other locations where topsoil has formed, you dig a series of round holes to collect the same data. You'll want to seek out archaeology site reports and manuals in a location similar to the one you're describing in your story.

-There are lots of neat remote sensing methods like satellite imagery, ground penetrating radar, etc. They are tremendously useful and would fit right into a science fiction setting. If you're feeling adventurous, you could invent your own based on your world's technology. Relevant search terms are "remote sensing" and "geophysics" / "geophysical survey." Depending on your world, you may also want to research digital humanities / big data / GIS to help imagine how archaeological analysis might develop in a high-tech future.

-As you probably have gathered, a large percentage of archaeology is performed by contract firms for legal compliance. The goal is to decide whether land can be developed and to gather data from sites that are about to be destroyed. If your archaeology is not of this kind, you will want to seek out examples of research archaeology being conducted by universities, museums, and historical sites.
posted by toastedcheese at 11:01 AM on September 25

In Season 3 of the Time Team shows and already I can tell you all about the "geophys" folks and their resistivity and magnetometry and the strengths and weaknesses in those two techniques, the importance of confirming earlier work, of doing the library research, running evaluation trenches, "dendro" testing, site etiquette, etc.

I've volunteered on two digs and I've already learned some things about archaeology from watching a dozen episodes of Time Team than I hadn't learned on both of those digs.

Of course, nothing compares to physically working a site and unearthing your first coin, or a sherd with a design on it... :)
posted by darkstar at 1:03 PM on September 25 [1 favorite]

In season 8 now, still loving it, and have begun seriously contemplating reviving my old anthropology or history Masters degree dream. There are a number of distance Masters degrees offered that might fit the bill...

By the way, if anyone else is planning to watch the Time Team eps on YouTube, I can confirm they're all there up to about S08 E10. I would recommend using the list of episodes Wikipedia page, here, though, as there are some Special shows that are out of sequence or given the incorrect episode number on YouTube.

Enjoy!
posted by darkstar at 7:36 PM on October 10

« Older Twitter discovery and analytics for beginners?   |   Pairing Stationery with My Consulting Business Newer »