Recommend where to donate for Carribean Island hurricane relief?

This hurricane season has been brutal. What NGOs are most likely to successfully deliver disaster, public health, and reconstruction relief?
posted by anthill to Society & Culture (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I know that St. Croix lives on Facebook. I believe this is true for St. Thomas as well. I would check out their pages and see what organizations people mention helping and which ones they are mentioning to friends and family stateside. I can't speak to other islands and I fear for what Haiti will get tonight and tomorrow
posted by raccoon409 at 7:18 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

My friend who is involved with philanthropy for a large corporation likes Global Giving. They have funds for specific locations.
posted by matildaben at 7:56 PM on September 20

Direct Relief International; A medical relief nonprofit ranked No. 1 on Charity Navigator's list of the 10 best charities in the U.S., among Fast Company's 10 most innovative. You can select where you'd like your donation to go.

My heart goes out to the people in all the islands, USVI is particular. Ten years ago I was part of a team working with VITEMA - the Virgin Islands Territory Emergency Management Agency, helping plan and prepare for hurricane impact. I think none of us could imagine how destructive over so vast an area the damage could be.
posted by X4ster at 8:22 PM on September 20 [3 favorites]

Scott and Brittany Meyers, of the long-running Windtraveler blog, who lost their home and business in Tortola, are raising funds here for direct assistance to the BVIs.
posted by nicwolff at 10:10 PM on September 20

Another four star charity - Americares "saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster so they can reach their full potential."

GlobalGiving connects nonprofits, donors, and companies in nearly every country around the world. We help local nonprofits access the funding, tools, training, and support they need to become more effective.

Oxfam does great work all over the world.
posted by X4ster at 10:24 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

Tim Duncan (retired star of the San Antonio Spurs) is from St. Croix and he started raising money for the USVIs during Irma. He matched the first million in donations and made his first relief trip delivering food/supplies last week. Not an established NGO, but he's a person with a sterling reputation, lots of resources, connections in the area, and ability to recruit a lot of volunteers.
posted by acidic at 7:55 AM on September 21

Thanks! Donated to Oxfam.
posted by anthill at 7:51 PM on September 23

« Older Can I eat this? - chicken stock left out for 12...   |   Cheap way to get a US phone number for accounts... Newer »