We have a plinth next to our driveway. What should go on it?
September 9, 2017 6:43 PM   Subscribe

We have a plinth but aren't sure what to use it for. Photo for reference.

We're not religious so there's not an obvious source of iconography for us. Looking for ideas. We live across from a cemetery so we'll probably avoid anything too macabre.
posted by toomanycurls to Home & Garden (27 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Get another gargoyle!! That would be so cool ... I would be very jealous.

Or go the traditional route and get a pineapple, which apparently is the symbol of hospitality.
posted by mccxxiii at 6:48 PM on September 9 [4 favorites]

I would absolutely put in one of those Little Free Libraries - maybe one that looks like a little cottage or something? I've seen some super cute variants that would look interesting on a plinth.
posted by Syllables at 7:02 PM on September 9 [10 favorites]

Solar light/lamp?
posted by whowearsthepants at 7:18 PM on September 9 [1 favorite]

Something simple and ominous, like an orb made of opal or obsidian. It will just look like a decorative piece- but is it?

It absolutely will be. Bonus points if you get an obsidian pineapple, because that is my serious answer, echoing the above poster. Pineapples are nice. Ominous pineapples are better.
posted by Homo neanderthalensis at 7:46 PM on September 9 [15 favorites]

I just discovered you can get solar-powered gargoyles and I am on team solar-powered gargoyle.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 7:51 PM on September 9 [12 favorites]

Although what I would probably actually do is go to some local art shows, especially student art shows, and find a piece of weird local outdoor sculpture that I loved and put that on there.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 7:55 PM on September 9 [4 favorites]

Or a birdhouse, that looks just like your own house.
posted by nickggully at 8:02 PM on September 9 [5 favorites]

Perhaps a stone pineapple? It's a traditional sign of hospitality.
posted by Performing Without Annette at 8:16 PM on September 9

I would probably grow a plant on it. Or place an outdoor sculpture or birdbath, or possibly all three at once.
posted by vegartanipla at 9:21 PM on September 9

Whatever you get (gargoyle, pineapple, tennis ball sculpture) I think you should affix glow in the dark googly eyes to it.
posted by fluffy battle kitten at 9:24 PM on September 9 [8 favorites]

Oh. You could also do something slightly seasonal. Pumpkin or gourd (with googly eyes), xmas tree, killer bunny or zombie Jesus (googly eyes), anatomical heart, etc.,
posted by fluffy battle kitten at 9:27 PM on September 9

Cafe table, chair(s), and you. Let the plinth hold the observer rather than the observed.
posted by amtho at 9:41 PM on September 9 [3 favorites]

We had a neighbor who had a pair of cement bears at the end of their driveway. They used to dress them up every few weeks depending on the season and the event. For example, in April, they had raincoats and rain hats on (April showers...), in October, Halloween costumes, etc. My kids loved, loved to look to see what the latest get up was. Put some sort of animal and dress them up!

Something like this.

posted by AugustWest at 10:22 PM on September 9 [8 favorites]

Is your mailbox required to be out at the property line? Cuz it would make a good mailbox pedestal.
posted by rhizome at 11:28 PM on September 9

Or make it a hitching post.
posted by rhizome at 11:30 PM on September 9 [1 favorite]

How about a creative folk art sculpture, maybe with colored glass. Some of these you might be able to make yourself, others you would have to find or commission.

Elmer’s Bottle Tree Ranch

Driftwood and stained glass

Various glass lawn art (not all of it a propos)
posted by Vispa Teresa at 11:37 PM on September 9

A dinosaur.
posted by TooFewShoes at 12:12 AM on September 10 [2 favorites]

Papercrete Totoro
posted by sebastienbailard at 12:39 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

water feature? marble run? bird bath?
posted by at at 4:18 AM on September 10

Nthing the pineapple, or maybe a gazing ball?
posted by coldhotel at 5:36 AM on September 10

Came to say pineapple. I don't myself have a plinth, but I have a few pineapples because of my fondness for finials.
posted by janey47 at 8:27 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

All these answers make me want to go get a plinth just so I can put something on it!!
posted by mccxxiii at 8:53 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

A gargoyle would be ideal. I'm not a fan of the solar-powered LED lights showing up everywhere, but this would certainly be a reasonable place. Finding good art might take time, a potted vine or flowering plant is a nice placeholder. Some things I liked. raven
posted by theora55 at 11:54 AM on September 10

a gargoyle ominously brandishing a pineapple
posted by poffin boffin at 12:59 PM on September 10 [7 favorites]

a gargoyle ominously brandishing a pineapple

And then cast its base from a mold of the top of the plinth so the top can be finished however.
posted by rhizome at 1:55 PM on September 10

An armillary.

Bonus points for having it set properly so that the arrow is parallel to the earth's axis.
posted by intermod at 8:29 PM on September 10 [1 favorite]

If it where me I'd put up either a largish(2-3') metal sculpture of a DNA double helix or spherical-ish generic molecule.
posted by nenequesadilla at 10:50 PM on September 11

« Older Help me find a better fitting sports bra   |   Paying for a Car Without a Physical Bank Account Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments