Need a crash course on the enviromental justice movement, your recs plz

I'd like referrals to the latest podcasts, blogs, book titles and twitter accounts to follow on thought leaders in the enviromental movements and enviromental justice arenas. I would love general stuff but issue specific is fine. Looking to consume this in a relatively short period of time (the next 3-5 days) to get up to speed on the basics of the movement, what issues are at hand, where it's coming from and where it's headed, policy wise. What am I missing out on?

I know the basics, but would love to be exposed to more. I'm familiar with Annie Dillard, Edward Abbey and Terry Tempest Williams for example but would like to consume items that are a bit more current and fresh (say within the last 5-10 years, better even the last 24 months). Props if it is Western US related, specifically Intermountain West. Super excited about these recs. TIA
posted by timpanogos to Science & Nature (9 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

There will no doubt be a lot of really good recommendations, but I actually thought that this piece was very compelling and tells of a legacy that needs to be discussed.
posted by Toddles at 3:50 PM on September 9 [3 favorites]

I don't have specific recommendations, but academic syllabuses on this topic seem very googleable (site:edu "environmental justice" "syllabus"): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc. I checked Sci Hub for a few of the readings, and journal articles mostly seemed to be there.
posted by Wobbuffet at 4:45 PM on September 9

On Twitter you can follow @AlexSteffen and @DRVox (David Roberts). They're leaders who frequently link to other good resources.
posted by harriet vane at 6:32 PM on September 9

If you are not already familiar, you will want to know the Jemez Principles.
posted by lunasol at 7:06 PM on September 9

Documentaries Bidder 70 and If a Tree Falls.
posted by cushie at 9:30 PM on September 9

"James Thornton’s specialty is suing governments and corporations on behalf of his only client – the Earth"

Saw this on environmental law in the Guardian today.
posted by nthdegx at 5:28 AM on September 10

I was in a class focused on environmental justice fiction last semester, but of the nonfiction we read, I think Slow Violence is an essential book for environmental justice.

For current issues in the American West, I would have a look at the new anthology Fracture (full disclosure: edited by a classmate of mine).
posted by Jeanne at 5:31 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

Came here to suggest Nixon's Slow Violence, and I'm so happy that I'm seconding it. <3 It's really really really good.

I'm aware that you've specifically asked for blogs, twitter accounts, and other such practical resources, so please do just ignore this if it's irrelevant to you - but! I also find engaging with Indigenous writers really important, as environmental violence is, for me at least, inextricably connected with colonial violence and the suppressed histories that come along with that still ongoing process. Layli Long Soldier's collection of poems, WHEREAS, does such a good job of exposing the way epistemic, linguistic, environmental, colonial, racial, and physical violences interweave with and feed one another. I particularly enjoy the way she uses the poetic form to make these kinds of points - it's a refusal of the terms of engagement that "we" as white people, globally, tend to impose on everything and everyone: that over-rationalisation that makes everything academic, abstract. There's an immediacy to the poetic that refuses to uncouple the emotional from the political, and I think that's particularly important in this instance.
posted by the north sea at 6:42 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

« Older Do I have a rat or mice infestation?   |   What's the best replacing to American Apparel? Newer »