No "pee-pees" or "hoohaws", please

Please help me find an accurate and direct book for a toddler on where babies come from.

I'd like to get a book for my toddler on how babies are made (i.e. human reproduction) that doesn't use metaphor or analogies and uses real words for human anatomy. These books exist for pre-teens, and even for kids 5+, but they are too advanced in their writing style and have too much content for a toddler.

I'm a biologist and for the love of god, I just can't take these B.S. books for toddlers where mommy and daddy put together two pieces of a heart and baby pops out. My dream would be to find a DK book - but it looks like they made one and it is out of print. Assume that I'm dealing with a toddler who can handle the content (we're already 75% there), but needs it in short, sweet and direct sentences with some nice drawings. I'm shopping in the U.S., but would be willing to special order something from another country if it was really good.
posted by Toddles to Education (14 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

Is "A Child is Born" by Lennart Nillson too advanced?
posted by stillmoving at 10:49 PM on September 2

where did I come from? is a classic.
posted by brujita at 10:50 PM on September 2 [6 favorites]

What Makes A Baby is accessible and inclusive.
posted by anya32 at 12:38 AM on September 3 [12 favorites]

I loved How Your Body Works as a child, it includes reproduction in a straightforward, if slightly surreal, way
posted by Heloise9 at 1:49 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

Robie Harris's series is very well-done, detailed and frank. The one for the youngest kids is It's Not the Stork, and there are two more books for older kids and for teens, It's So Amazing, and It's Perfectly Normal.
posted by Orlop at 1:51 AM on September 3 [7 favorites]

Seconding What Makes a Baby - so terrific and inclusive of all families, if that's important to you.
posted by kittydelsol at 4:07 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

Stopped by to nth What Makes a Baby.
posted by goatdog at 6:26 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

Nthing What Makes a Baby. Where Did I Come From? was too wordy and kind of creepy? I've set it aside and we might revisit it, but my 3.5yr old likes the first just fine. We also got the latest edition of A Child Is Born, which I fondly remember thumbing through as a kid, and have gone through that, just talking about the pictures/diagrams.
posted by catch as catch can at 6:37 AM on September 3

Adding to the What Makes a Baby chorus. The same author has another book for middle grade readers called Sex is a Funny Word, which both my daughters read.
posted by SobaFett at 6:39 AM on September 3

What Makes a Baby also has the simplest and most comprehensible metaphor for DNA that I've ever read.
posted by benzenedream at 9:44 AM on September 3 [1 favorite]

"It's not the stork" is geared for 4-6 year olds. When my son, at just-turned-3, started asking questions about where babies come from (seeing as how we had gotten a brand new one) we started reading it to him in little snippets. It's too long to read start-to-finish in one sitting, but it is broken into ~2-page topics and we read whichever ones of those most aligned with what he was wondering about. It did a good job of answering his questions and the bite size pieces didn't seem out of his realm at all. A very few bits he didn't seem ready for, so we skipped those, but we left the book on his shelf.

We know he has continued to read it as he's grown because one day last year he looked at his breakfast tray and yelled "hey! It's a sperm!" And sure enough there was a very suggestive little grapefruit shred...
posted by telepanda at 1:24 PM on September 3 [4 favorites]

My son started liking What Makes A Baby when he was two; several years lawyer he still loves it. Definite toddler thumbs up. Several of our friends have bought it after seeing it at our house.
posted by medusa at 6:24 PM on September 3

Chiming in for What Makes a Baby. It's sparked some great conversations and doesn't make my skin crawl to read it.
posted by bighappyhairydog at 9:35 PM on September 3

ULTRA Eponysterical question BTW!
posted by lalochezia at 8:24 AM on September 12

« Older How to build more love in my life   |   Cymbalta stole a year from me, now what? Newer »