Remote casserole delivery service

DC Mefites! I have a friend with two young kids whose husband passed away last week after short illness. We can't get there (and, quite frankly, they don't need us right now with the amount of local/family support on-hand), but we'd like to do something for them to ease some of day-to-day burden at some point, without being an impersonal fruit basket.

One idea hearkens back to our own local custom, of food delivery. Is there a non-subscription meal prep and delivery service gift certificate that we could send instead? Nothing super fancy (cost isn't necessarily an option, but something kid friendly makes the most sense), but that she could phone/order for an evening when needed. We're in rural Canada, and know not of these things in US cities.
posted by liquado to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

I'm not sure how personal you want it to be, but something that would be very easy for them would be a Seamless gift card.

[Seamless manages online ordering and delivery for local restaurants in many major cities. I just plugged in a random Georgetown (DC neighborhood) address and there were 120+ local restaurants available for delivery right now.]
posted by lalex at 3:48 PM on August 8 [1 favorite]

Seamless or GrubHub is my go-to for people in cities. If you want to be absolutely sure there's something, go to the website and put in their address and see if a nice selection of restaurants comes up in the search.
posted by Lyn Never at 3:55 PM on August 8 [1 favorite]

It looks like Munchery delivers to DC. It's nice because it's a little more like "homey" food than delivery from a restaurant. The meals arrive refrigerated and you just microwave them. They're quite tasty. (They have a daily selection, including kids meals and desserts.)
posted by radioamy at 4:20 PM on August 8 [3 favorites]

radioamy: "It looks like Munchery delivers to DC. It's nice because it's a little more like "homey" food than delivery from a restaurant. The meals arrive refrigerated and you just microwave them. They're quite tasty. (They have a daily selection, including kids meals and desserts.)"

I'm in DC - haven't tried Munchery but I've tried the very similar Galley. I like it a lot!
posted by capricorn at 5:26 PM on August 8 [1 favorite]

I'm not in D.C. but I've used Munchery and have found it to be excellent.
posted by janey47 at 10:09 PM on August 8

Thanks all. Muncher worked great. Appreciate the quick replies.
posted by liquado at 8:27 PM on August 16

« Older I just got my first laptop. It's also my first Mac...   |   Before my daughter was old enough, I saw a puberty... Newer »