Eastern Canadians- are ATMs working where you are?

Apparently one of Bell's fibre lines was accidentally cut earlier today. There's no cell service for most customers east of Ontario, news reports are saying that stores aren't able to do debit or credit transactions as a result either and they are unsure of how long it will take to resolve the issue. Before I run out of the office in a mad panic, does anyone know whether the ATMs in Atlantic Canada are affected by this issue as well?
posted by peppermind to Grab Bag (5 answers total)

It depends on where you are. We just paid for lunch with a debit card in Fredericton, New Brunswick, but I read about debit machine outages in Newfoundland. I haven't tried a bank machine yet. I'll go try one and get back to you.
posted by Mogur at 10:20 AM on August 4 [1 favorite]

Thanks, it's mildly scary out here in Newfoundland as 911 services went down as well. Banks are closing because of the potential safety risks, flights aren't getting off the island and I'm stuck at work but not able to do anything productive as a result of this outage.
posted by peppermind at 10:24 AM on August 4

Just checked -- our ATMs are working in Fredericton, but banks are closing their doors, letting in just a few people at a time.

Also, some drugstores (ie Walmart and Shoppers) can't fill prescriptions.
posted by Mogur at 10:28 AM on August 4

I don't know where you are in NL, but I can personally confirm that the ATMs at the Royal Bank branch on Elizabeth Ave. in St. John's were working at about 3:45pm local time. I did hear that most machines in actual banks were up, but that was second-hand. There were no lines or anything at the time, so it didn't seem like there was a massive shortage (this might change during rush hour). Debit/credit machines are out all over the place, but service is starting to be restored (I was able to place some calls in downtown St. John's starting around 4). Good luck and I hope this gets fixed for you soon!
posted by goblin-bee at 12:25 PM on August 4 [1 favorite]

Bank and telephone services seem undisrupted in Montreal.
posted by 256 at 12:28 PM on August 4 [1 favorite]

« Older An art world word and background info for kitsch...   |   Let's create a 5-6 week Salad Guide, with plans... Newer »