Return these mom jeans or get them tailored?

I just got these women's jeans in the mail. They fit well except there's a little bit too much fabric around the crotch.

The issue is apparent in the photos on the Web site, especially the bottom photo.

I'm trying to decide whether I should return the jeans or find a tailor to work on them. I have a hard time finding jeans that fit me well, and these look great on me except for the whole bulging crotch issue.

I found some advice on this site (scroll 1/4 of the page down to "Flat Pubis Adjustment") and I think it may describe the problem and how a tailor should fix it, but I'm not sure how complicated this would be on jeans with thick fabric and a hidden front zipper.

I'll want to return the jeans if the alteration would cost more than $20 or if an inexpert fix is likely to cause other problems - such as making the jeans tighter in the thighs or stomach area, where there is already no room to spare.

I would love some advice from anyone who knows about these things!
posted by Mila to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I recently had an inch long hole/rip in the crotch of my beloved jeans repaired by denim therapy - the work was great and they know their jeans but I paid an embarrassing amount of money beyond $20 for it. Im not a tailor, but given that measure I don't think your issue would be fixed for only $20, since presumably it'd be more complicated than patching a hole.
posted by Karaage at 4:47 PM on July 30 [2 favorites]

The rise is high. This is a common problem. A lot of mom jeans have a high rise. Your anatomy probably needs a shorter rise if there is too much fabric. I'm tall and have a long torso but the distance from my waist to crotch is short and medium to shorter rises look best. If you want to alter the rise and make it shorter you're going to have to cut the waistband off.
posted by loveandhappiness at 5:06 PM on July 30 [1 favorite]

I do a lot of my own alterations - including lined blazers and bridesmaid dresses. I would not attempt this, nor would I trust a tailor. The wash and fading was done on the finished jean, so the alteration suggested on closet case patterns' website won't be as easy to implement. You can try using safety pins to approximate the alteration to see if it approximates what you're looking for before you take it to a tailor.
posted by umwhat at 5:17 PM on July 30 [2 favorites]

I'd return them and keep looking. Life is too short to waste on clothing that is going to be difficult.
Try these instead?
posted by msamye at 7:13 PM on July 30 [1 favorite]

The fixes you linked on Closet Case Files are not finished garment fixes for the most part- they are pattern fixes (like if X is a common fit issue with you, adjust the pattern in this way to create a better fit). Taking apart a pair of off-the-rack jeans for a fix like that would be pretty labour intensive.

The way to fix these jeans would be to make them higher waisted by taking in the butt seam, so the waistband sits up higher on your stomach until the jeans crotch is actually in your crotch.

To see if you'd like this, put on the jeans and pull them up until the jeans crotch fits against your crotch.
If the thighs are too tight for them to go up high enough, the jeans will never fit.
If you find the waistband is too high up there (it will probably cover your belly button), the jeans will never fit.

If you kind of like the high-waisted look- it can be very flattering on some bodies, especially if you have a smaller waist and wider hips- then see if you can take in the jeans waist. Three ways to do this:

OPTION ONE
Pin the waist like this and see if you like the look.
Pinning like this can also create a nicer curve in the hips, eliminate a gapping waist, and keep the jeans from sliding down.

Problems- Pinning the back seam in will pull the back pockets closer together, and depending on how much fabric you're pinching, if they need to move a lot, they might look too weird. But if you think the pockets look ok when closer together, head to a tailor. They will unpick the butt seam and make a new one.

Possible problem- Those jeans have a lot of dye variations on the seams, and this alteration would mean losing those down the butt centre and creating a solid-coloured seam that might look weird since it won't match all the other seams. I like this alteration better on solid-coloured jeans, not fancy-dyed jeans. But if it makes the fit awesome, sometimes the weird butt seam is worth it.

OPTION TWO
Another option that will preserve the existing back centre seam is to add curvy butt darts (here is a slightly different placement for the same thing). They work too although I personally don't like them as much- to me the line isn't as smooth and they aren't as comfortable.

OPTION THREE
Take in the side seams. I don't recommend this because you'll see the seam too much with all the dye variations you have going there.

Curvy butt darts are super easy and the tailor should charge you about $10. Try doing them by hand, they are not hard at all.
Unpicking butt seam is more labour intensive to do and may cost $10-30.
Taking in side seams is also pretty easy, maybe $15.

posted by pseudostrabismus at 10:18 PM on July 30 [1 favorite]

Hmm, so, the point where all four seams converge seems to be in the right spot. The overall length of the front rise is about right, I think? But the fly is too long, so it juts out at the bottom and causes the fabric on either side of it to fold over itself horizontally. The waistband, butt, and side seams are snug, so I can't lose any fabric in those areas.

I'm OK with having solid-colored seams it I can get a good fit.
posted by Mila at 12:04 AM on July 31

Scratch the part about the fly being too long - that's not right. It's the seam immediately below the bottom of the fly - on the front, not the underside. I can't pull the fabric up toward the waistband without giving myself camel toe.
posted by Mila at 12:17 AM on July 31

I'm not a sewist, but I'm a petite woman with a longstanding interest in fashion who gives my tailor a lot of money to make clothes fit me correctly. I would not attempt this alteration. It's hard to diagnose without a photo, but in general pants are best altered side-to-side, where you say you don't have any extra fabric to remove. Messing with the rise or the crotch is really hard, and it might not even resolve your problem.

Re-reading your description again, I think I know what you're referring to with folded fabric on either side of the crotch. In my experience that is a fit problem caused by the jeans being cut for a different shape/size of thigh and hip. I've never heard of it being fixed with alterations. You're better off finding a different pair of jeans that fits well in the crotch and rise, then getting the butt/waist taken in (FYI, waist alterations will be cheaper than redoing the butt seam).
posted by serelliya at 11:08 AM on July 31 [1 favorite]

I'm sadly returning the jeans. Thank you all for helping me save a good chunk of change.
posted by Mila at 9:37 PM on July 31

« Older Please help me understand electric water heaters   |   What online learning system should we use? Newer »