Can I drink it: room-temperature Naked Juice?

Yet again, I've taken something from my refrigerator/freezer in the morning, kept it in my purse all day, and find it room-temperature and questionable in the afternoon. This one is a Kale Blazer Naked Juice, expiration date Aug 17 2017, still sealed/never opened. I took it out of the refrigerator around 6 hours ago. Can I drink it?

It's not cool to the touch, just perfectly room-temperature. I know acidic content can affect the answer, so the ingredients are as follows: orange juice, kale puree, apple juice, cucumber juice, spinach juice, celery puree, ginger juice, lemon juice, natural flavors.

It was "gently pasteurized" but I am otherwise advised "perishable keep refrigerated."

I want to drink this $3 juice, but I also don't want to feel sick later. Thanks!
posted by witchen to Food & Drink (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'd drink it.
posted by slateyness at 12:36 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

I'd drink it after that time frame, but I'd refrigerate it for a while first just because it won't be as pleasant to drink if it's warm.
posted by asperity at 12:40 PM on July 17 [5 favorites]

It's never been opened and has only been at room temp for 6 hours? I would totally drink it. I might re-chill it first just to make it more palatable, but I wouldn't worry about safety within those parameters.
posted by schroedingersgirl at 12:42 PM on July 17 [8 favorites]

I have done this exact thing, re-chilled it, and had no problems.
posted by FirstMateKate at 12:49 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

Never opened? Oh goodness, you're totally fine, they don't refrigerate it for shipping. (Honestly, I'd drink it even if it had been opened, but I wouldn't judge anyone for being more cautious in that scenario.)
posted by desuetude at 1:07 PM on July 17 [3 favorites]

In a heartbeat. In that kind of controlled environment the worst thing that's going to happen to fruit juice is fermentation, which would take at least a day and which you'll notice because of the gasp of gases escaping when you open it.

And which would still probably be safe to drink, just a little . . . boozy.
posted by aspersioncast at 1:16 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

Totally fine, I've done this exact thing (but way longer out of fridge) many times.

It's pasteurized. So to first approximation nothing can grow in there, and certainly not in a few hours.
posted by SaltySalticid at 1:16 PM on July 17 [4 favorites]

I'd drink it.
posted by tuesdayschild at 1:37 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

Would totally drink
posted by kinddieserzeit at 3:14 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

It would never even occur to me not to drink it.
posted by jtfowl0 at 6:04 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

I drank it! Thanks for all of your input/reality checks. It's just been one of those months where everything feels a little scary, you know? Even the sugary, grainy "kale" "juice" I bought from the grocery store.
posted by witchen at 7:17 PM on July 17 [1 favorite]

FYI, at the place of business where I sell Naked juice, they are refrigerated when we receive them.
posted by Night_owl at 6:12 AM on July 18

« Older How should I upgrade my bikeage for better haulage...   |   Brigadoon casting Newer »