Google to Outlook Translation (Calendar Esperanto, Part 2)

I need to maintain a team calendar for work that can send invites to both Outlook and iCal users. As per people's suggestions, I've done Google Calendar. But - Outlook users aren't receiving my invitations. They only see edits TO my invitations. Why?

I tried adding this to the end of my last question, but it looks like no one saw it and I need this resolved ASAP so I can roll it out for work.

I tried a couple test meetings with me and the iCal user. He got my invites fine - I got nothing in my outlook. I then tweaked a couple settings, and edited an existing meeting. We both got that - I just got it as a new meeting. Then I tried another test meeting; he got that, I didn't.

what is going on and how do I fix it? I saw a Google solution that said that I needed to disassociate my work gmail address (which I got just to create the calendar) from the account, but the instructions on the solution I saw ("find the 'Google account settings' page on the calendar settings, click on that link and disassociate your gmail address from the account") didn't work (there WAS no "Google account settings" page on my calendar settings).

Help. This is stalling up about three other things I need to roll out.
posted by EmpressCallipygos to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

I am not certain why people who hadn't received the initial invitation would receive edits to the invitation. Do they or the organization possibly have a rule in place that does something with the initial invitation -- automatic acceptance or rejection? Ask them to check Options > Calendar > Automatically accept/decline.

Failing that, you refer to a "work Gmail address". Do you have the ability to send the invitation from Outlook, as opposed to Google Calendar?
posted by WCityMike at 9:23 AM on July 17

I was the test Outlook receipient. I was trying to send an email from the Google Calendar to my Outlook. Checking the "automatically accept/decline" was indeed something I tried to do that didn't help.

What I mean by "work Gmail address" was: I tried to create a Google account just for work (because my personal Google account has "empresscallipygos" in it and that was showing up on everything, and I'd rather a boast about my butt not be attached to workplace corrrespondence). I tried to create a new Google account using my work email, but Google forced me to create a Gmail account before I did anything. So I created a new gmail account for dedicated work use, and that's what my work Google Calendar is under.

What I want is:

* I maintain a Google Calendar with three people's schedules on it.
* I send invitations from that calendar to each of those three people, to book plane reservations, etc. on their own personal calendars.
* These three people would be able to look at the Google calendar to see everyone else's schedule, but would have their own appointments on their own personal calendars.

I've been able to send invites from that Google calendar to iCal, but not to Outlook.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 9:49 AM on July 17

Looking at your request from your original post:
I'm looking for some kind of calendar app where I could create the calendar item, then send an Outlook entry for that item to Tom and Dick, a Google one to Harry and Don, and an iCal one to Sid
For clarity's sake here, I'm going to define two terms. Forgive me if this is already known to you; I'm not trying to mansplain or come across condescendingly; I just want to make sure we're on the same page. There is something called iCal, which is the macOS calendar application, and there is an something called iCalendar, much older, which is the name of a universal calendar appointment format, most often producing files with an "ics" extension.

When you send an invitation to people using Google or Outlook or what-have-you, most often, for the sake of universal-ity, it is sent using this iCalendar format in the form of an "ics" attachment to their message. E-mail applications, including Gmail and Outlook, recognize the ics format (if you open it in a text editor, it's basically just text laid out in a very precise way) and Google or Outlook will offer to do calendar stuff with it.

The request you outline above should work from almost anything that has both e-mail and calendar integration. In Outlook, you can send this using something called a "meeting request". Depending on if your organization uses an Exchange server or not, you could create a public calendar on it and then create events there, sending "meeting request" invites to all who attend.

What I fail to understand is why you would have users who don't receive the initial calendar request yet receive follow-up edits to it. To make sure I'm clear, you're saying Google users and your macOS-iCal user get both the initial invite and "edit" updates, but the Outlook users do not receive the invite, but do receive the "edit" updates?
posted by WCityMike at 10:16 AM on July 17

No offense taken!

I actually don't know whether the Mac guy has iCal or iCalendar or what; when I was tasked with this, he only said "I'm a Mac guy with an iPhone". So whatever is on his iPhone, that's what he has. And he is receiving the invitations no problem.

I, however, am trying to send invites from Google Calendar to my own Outlook, and I am the one with the problem. The steps I follow when I am trying to do this are:

* I create the event in my Google Calendar.
* I enter the email address for Mac Guy and my own Outlook email address as "guests" and press "send".
* Mac Guy gets the invitation from Google Calendar. I get absolutely nothing.
* If I edit the Google Calendar event - I change the start time, or something - Mac Guy gets the notice of an updated event. I also receive the notice in Outlook, bearing the label "Updated Event". However, as stated before, I never got the original invitation to the event, only the notice that it was updated.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 12:02 PM on July 17

« Older Quiet in downtown Austin?   |   Punch me! Newer »