Web site for peer-to-peer music recommendations?

There are several web sites that use an algorithm to issue music recommendations. What I'm looking for, though, is a site where humans offer suggestions to other humans. Any suggestions?
posted by t(h)om(as) to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Rate Your Music
posted by LuckySeven~ at 5:29 AM on July 16 [1 favorite]

Some of the longest, most info rich AskMe's are about music recommendations...
posted by humboldt32 at 9:01 AM on July 16 [1 favorite]

Yep, we'll do it for you.
posted by noloveforned at 9:28 AM on July 16 [1 favorite]

AskMetafilter is the best for that.
posted by jeffamaphone at 9:39 AM on July 16

I've wanted this for awhile too. The best options I've been able to find are the aforementioned RYM, whose forums are decent as far as they go, and whose charts of best user-reviewed/-rated albums are sort of an amalgam version of what you're wishing for. You may find that exploring the comments on Last.FM pages for artists and albums may bear some occasional fruit. Metacritic and AnyDecentMusic collect scores and provide synopses of professional reviews, and I've found that helpful in a different way.
posted by a good beginning at 7:59 AM on July 17

Quora might be a good avenue to try as well.
posted by DrAstroZoom at 1:19 PM on July 17

« Older Trying to decide whether to become a school...   |   Psychology or Chemistry? Hacking stage fright.... Newer »