Looking for old Mitsubishi radio ads with gravelly voiced announcer

I'm looking for recordings of an old series of Mitsubishi car radio ads with a gravelly voiced announcer. Can anyone help me find it or info about it?

I remember Mitsubishi used to run a series of radio ads that had the premise that a certain guy was calling people up trying to convince them to buy a Mitsubishi, and the person he would be talking to would be some sort of caricature.

One ad featured him talking to a biologist who specialized in breeding giant food plants whose previous car had been crushed in a mishap with a giant peanut leading him to lament "I hate legumes". In another, one I'd especially like to find a recording of, he's talking to a teenage clerk at a fast food stand who keeps using "teen lingo" that the announcer finds confusing, like describing their food as "the bomb diggity" to which the announcer replies, befuddled "ziggity bop".

I believe I've found one indirect link placing their approximate time. At this forum in 2008, "Commercials I Hate" someone is complaining about how much they hate these ads.

Does anyone remember these ads? Can anyone help me find a recording of any of them?
posted by Reverend John to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Was it this voice?
posted by Seeking Direction at 7:00 PM on July 12

Sadly, no. The voice from that tv ad is like silk compared to the radio guy. He was putting on an intentionally gruff and comically pushy character.
posted by Reverend John at 7:56 PM on July 12

They don't sound familiar to me, but you might try talking to some Mitsubishi dealers in your area - they will probably remember them better than the average person.
posted by Rock Steady at 5:14 AM on July 13 [1 favorite]

« Older Recommend some writers like Shirley Jackson and...   |   The Streets of Philadelphia Newer »